T16ole

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo
Country flag
Before I start, sorry. I know this has probably been done to death.

I’ve seen verious bits online. But I cannot actually find anything in the manual or online to clarify.

On a daily basis, are you supposed to only charge to 80% or has that be done away with in the update or vehicle manufactured recently?
Sponsored

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
It is amazing that this question still abounds. It has nothing to do with BEVs and all to do with how batteries work in general.

Interestingly even the new iPhone 15 has the option to just charge to 80%

LongLive959

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
Ya but it’s still weird since the manufacturer is locking ~10% of the battery for this same reason. So you’re actually using what, around 70% of the actual battery? Tesla doesn’t lock any portion, advises charging to 90% daily, and theyve had no degradation issues. So the 80/100% is a little confusing for Taycans. Yes, it’s easy to just say “follow the manufacturer”, but it seems over cautious

allroadusa

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ Pure White
Country flag
I kind of agree with that. If Porsche (prone like any other to protect themselves) would have considered the 100% charging to be notably detrimental to the battery life, they would have prevented that by design, enforcing the 85% as a default charging limit. The same logic as the ESP, on by default but that would be deactivated temporarily only if you're a brave pilote.
This reminds me the over cautious old recommendations regarding ICE... (don't let the rpm reach the red zone until the water temp needle has reached 90°C, etc.)...It certainly is a good practice but not more than that. It wouldn't be the first the owner manual contains some over conservative recommendations....

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
This reminds me the over cautious old recommendations regarding ICE... (don't let the rpm reach the red zone until the water temp needle has reached 90°C, etc.)...It certainly is a good practice but not more than that. It wouldn't be the first the owner manual contains some over conservative recommendations....
This is not over cautious.
If you understood how metals expand and lubricants vary in efficiency you would not have this misunderstanding.

What you write about the battery is technically illogical too.

You will find the manufacturer’s recommendation takes into account things which typical owners and internet “experts” are either unaware of or don’t understand.

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Ya but it’s still weird since the manufacturer is locking ~10% of the battery for this same reason. So you’re actually using what, around 70% of the actual battery? Tesla doesn’t lock any portion, advises charging to 90% daily, and theyve had no degradation issues. So the 80/100% is a little confusing for Taycans. Yes, it’s easy to just say “follow the manufacturer”, but it seems over cautious
90 is only for LFP (that means lowest trim), and Tesla does have a buffer as well. There is definitely degradation on Tesla vehicles as well. They don't have some kind of magic battery. Ref Bjørn Nyland:
Clickable link

There you have a 21 Model 3 LR with 15.7% battery degradation due to mainly DC fast charging, and a Model 3 with just 5% that has mainly done AC charging.

Ref this video for the taxi M3LR with 15.7% deg:

Last edited:

allroadusa

First Name
Jerome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ Pure White
Country flag
If you understood how metals expand and lubricants vary in efficiency you would not have this misunderstanding.

You will find the manufacturer’s recommendation takes into account things which typical owners and internet “experts” are either unaware of or don’t understa

You will find the manufacturer’s recommendation takes into account things which typical owners and internet “experts” are either unaware of or don’t understand.
I have the slightest feeling you consider I’m dumb enough to reach the red zone with a cold engine…
All I wanted to point out is the difference between you should and you must. You should wash your hands before eating but what is the risk if you don’t.

My English level might not be as good as my skills in materials and electronics, so if you didn’t capture the sense of my message I do apologize.

bn8959

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
The base Tesla M3's have a different battery tech that require charging to 100% - my friend has one and says the app nags him to charge to 100% if he hasnt for a week or so. The LR and Performance model are more similar to the Taycan, where its not ideal to charge to 100% frequently.

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
The base Tesla M3's have a different battery tech that require charging to 100% - my friend has one and says the app nags him to charge to 100% if he hasnt for a week or so. The LR and Performance model are more similar to the Taycan, where its not ideal to charge to 100% frequently.
Tesla quietly removed the 100% guidance from manuals and such. Ref: https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_jo/GUID-7FE78D73-0A17-47C4-B21B-54F641FFAEF4.html

I have a M3P so can't check, but I believe the car will say/recommend 90% now if you have a base car with LFP.

Personal opinion: They removed this because people took it as charge to 100% all the time, when it was mainly do-it-once-in-a-short-while.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I have the slightest feeling you consider I’m dumb enough to reach the red zone with a cold engine…
No, but the advice is good for longevity in that neither the clearances nor the lubricant are operating optimally in a cold IC engine. With modern synthetic multigrade lubricants the damage caused may be less than it was years ago (where it could and sometimes did result in failure within minutes) but the life of the engine will probably be effected.

It is the same with the battery charge, and for somebody who won’t keep the car long and is a bit of an a*sehole ;) maybe they won’t care, but I am an engineer with Asperger’s and I believe in taking expert advice, in the case of the IC engine I have considerable experience but in the case of the battery I believed the experts not internet speculation.

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
Just to add yet another dimension for consideration- a lot of charging % advise is based on High Voltage DC charging.
A very simplistic range which covers all types of scenarios is to charge as a mean/average of 85% and if you have a long journey there will no side effects/drama to go to 100% on an occasional basis.

From time to time, it would be good to run your EV to single % and the charge up to full.

This is a generic statement that works for all EV’s regardless of battery size or manufacture.

Other than that, the is NO set rule, do as you wish as mentioned many times the battery packs have long warranties.

Now all of you, stop fretting and drive the hell out of your EV’s and enjoy them 🫡😉

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
For battery experts, battery degradation happens in every cell or some cells are weaker and degrade faster. If so then changing few cells can improve the range.
Sponsored