Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Is anyone with a MY22 getting more than 150 when charging at a 350kW EA station?
Charging speed (261.8 kW at 40%) of my 2022 CT4 on a road trip while at an EA 350kW charging station…

Porsche Taycan Charging Etiquette FE441E57-C1A9-469E-B54A-1365C8772C87
Sponsored

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Is anyone with a MY22 getting more than 150 when charging at a 350kW EA station? Asking to make sure everything is OK with my car or if I should check a checkbox somewhere in settings to get faster charging. For context, my SOC was above 30%
It is entirely variable for all sorts of reasons.

Check in PCM that the Battery-saving fast charging option isn't enabled as this will limit max throughput - Charging...Options.

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
This is absolutely correct but most non-technically minded people don't know this is inevitable and the sort of person who always brimmed their IC engined car will probably just assume charging to 100% is what they should do and just w1nge (see what I did there) about the slow end to the charging assuming it is something wrong with the charger rather than their ignorance. Probably.

Education is the answer, not anger, but misinformation seems more likley in the internet age :(
Even this guy, MacMaster, has been told many times in the comments that he's wasting his time charging to 100%, yet he deliberately ignores this advice. The sad thing is, he's got nearly 100,000 subscribers and this is where most of them will likely get their "how to use an EV" info from.

I actually was supposed to film a video with him but I decided not to as he's a complete pillock. I met him to discuss the plans for the video, but before we had time to film it, his videos became worse and worse and I decided to pull out of it. He lies in his videos and manipulates footage. He also mutes people in his comments on YouTube (including me) when they point out the lies in his video. People who are muted don't know they're muted. I only found out after looking at his video via my wife's account and found my comments were not visible via her account, but were still visible to me.

Look at his comments at 34:03 where he directly responds to instructions to charge only to 80%...

I learnt something new today. At the local Tescos I was chatting to a VW owner who pulled up who said there was a group of them who leave their cars on charge at Tescos overnight cycling home on a Brompton as they don't have home chargers. I don't either but leaving a Taycan overnight in a Tesco car 🚗 park isn't going to happen. Some of the early EV adopters are clearly innovative in their quest for charge. I guess that's why podpoint stopped the free 7kw charging at Tescos... Also meant the 7kw would be full, not really in the spirit of community.
A lot of Tescos I've visited have a 3 hour limit in the car park enforced by cameras. Surprised this isn't the case in London.

in the US, porsche and other manufacturers give free charging for X amount of time so there is no financial punishment available.
Limiting the free charging to 30 minutes *IS* the "financial punishment".

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
So, 100% will give you 210 miles. If you’re lucky with the traffic, you’ll do that in 3 1/2 hours. Are you really going to drive non-stop for that time?
first off I usually get around 240 miles or more depending on speed and climatic conditions and yes, when on a long distance trip I will drive the 2.5 to 3 hours that it takes to get to the next charge stop.
To me, it makes loads of sense to stop every couple of hours, let’s say every 120-130 miles,
120 miles in my car will run it down to around 50% SOC, charging at that level is slower than running it down to around 10% of SOC.
what makes sense to you is not universal and doesn't make sense for everyone.
If you are going to continue with your approach, you’d better hope that everyone else doesn’t follow suit otherwise you’ll be queuing for a few hours once you get there!
thanks for your insights, you can come down off the pedestal now/

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Limiting the free charging to 30 minutes *IS* the "financial punishment".
the overage for 10-15 minutes is a few dollars and it really is not much of a financial disincentive.
also if you are a penny pincher you can unplug and start a new session.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
Even this guy, MacMaster, has been told many times in the comments that he's wasting his time charging to 100%, yet he deliberately ignores this advice. The sad thing is, he's got nearly 100,000 subscribers and this is where most of them will likely get their "how to use an EV" info from.

I actually was supposed to film a video with him but I decided not to as he's a complete pillock. I met him to discuss the plans for the video, but before we had time to film it, his videos became worse and worse and decided to pull out of it.
Think you have classified him correctly. I have seen a video from this guy before and he is just a clown. sadly that seems many making quite a lot of money from this type of videos.

Beauty of this is that you can just skip his videos and never bring any clicks to him.

Terrible guy altogether and well done to avoid making videos with him.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Is anyone with a MY22 getting more than 150 when charging at a 350kW EA station? Asking to make sure everything is OK with my car or if I should check a checkbox somewhere in settings to get faster charging. For context, my SOC was above 30%
Yes but you need specific conditions.

- arrive with -5% Soc or less
- Select the charger from the GPS so the car knows you’re going to one and will warm the battery
- use a 350kW pump that actually works
- make sure “battery friendly” DC charging is disabled on the car

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
the overage for 10-15 minutes is a few dollars and it really is not much of a financial disincentive.
also if you are a penny pincher you can unplug and start a new session.
Of course you can charge all the way to 100% all the time if you want or think it is necessary to reach next Charger etc. It clearly is your choice. If you only pay for kWh there is no financial impact, but if the old model with only time based charging would still be around, would you still do it? Would you wait the extra time to get from 85% to 100?

Luckily here in Europe in a lot of countries the roll out of new HPC has been great. And since most providers start to see the benefit in getting new Customers, the better ones roll out perhaps at least 4 chargers per location. Even so there can be queues at times during busy travel days, but in general short waiting times and also good maintenance on chargers. Only experienced a handful problematic ones in close to 75 stops. The Porsche charging planner in the car has also improved so you now can filter stations and the car displays the free number of chargers normally. I have had some glitches in the car with this, when receiving map updates, but a good app for identifying free chargers helps.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Look at his comments at 34:03 where he directly responds to instructions to charge only to 80%...
What a total plonker.
Sad that the internet, where it is possible to find facts, is full of lies and misinformation from confident ignoramuses :(

One of my mates when talking about internet info just says “Trump and Brexit”…

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
What a total plonker.
Sad that the internet, where it is possible to find facts, is full of lies and misinformation from confident ignoramuses :(

One of my mates when talking about internet info just says “Trump and Brexit”…
Digital comms/internet is my profession and the word "fact" is not a word I recognise any more - and it goes far deeper than political views, whether left or right. Digital technology has enabled the most sophisticated propaganda machine in history - though Trump and Brexit were mere blips, and actually, quite convenient. That's not to mention what the politics on the other side of that spectrum has been up to for decades as well...

The internet has made it too easy to turn facts into fiction, and fiction into facts. That is true of anything, by anyone, for any purpose.

The internet has amplified the inherent chaos of humanity, so there is little point trying to understand, debate and then rectify it, otherwise that overreach eventually leads to the right getting wronged, and the wronged getting righted.

Everything in nature eventually finds an equilibrium.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
We in America have a long way to go.......
When I charge on any charger I check in to Plugshare, put the exact time I'm going to charge, my charging speed and a message for people to contact me if they need the charger immediately.
I will also be aware of others SOC to know how long I should be there. If there are many with low SOC, ill do a quick top off and leave so others can charge.

The people with free charging (ID4, EV6, Ionioiq5) really abuse the system. They will charge till 100% with 25kw speeds while people are waiting.

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Andy0565

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IPace
Country flag
first off I usually get around 240 miles or more depending on speed and climatic conditions and yes, when on a long distance trip I will drive the 2.5 to 3 hours that it takes to get to the next charge stop.

120 miles in my car will run it down to around 50% SOC, charging at that level is slower than running it down to around 10% of SOC.
what makes sense to you is not universal and doesn't make sense for everyone.

thanks for your insights, you can come down off the pedestal now/
To clarify.

in the UK we have a ‘Highway Code’. (Guidelines as to safe driving). It’s this, not me, that suggests stopping every two hours on long trips. Maybe you agree with it, maybe not, but it ‘makes sense’ to me.

if you start at 80% and drive 120 miles, you’ll have 30% left, not 50%. So, if you charge to 80% and move on, you should be able to do this quickly. Any saving in charging time for the 10% to 30% bit is going to be wiped out many times over by charging from 80% to 100%.

The idea that you should sit on a charger, waiting to get from 80% to 100% and holding everyone else up is frankly ridiculous. It may well suit you to do this but if everyone adopts your approach the queues for chargers will simply get longer. May I remind you that this is a discussion about etiquette which is, by definition, about polite behaviours that benefit everyone.

As to getting 240 miles from a charge, I assume that you’re somewhere warm.
Sponsored