EVOG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I just got off the phone with my local Porche dealer and the service rep told me there is a new recall for the car (9 days old). The recall is to replace the ground point external power connection. He said this could cause power drain from the 12V battery.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@EVOG this is very very interesting.

EVOG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This is the exact recall info I got from the service consultant.

WLB3 – Replace ground point for external power connection.

Gauss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Gauss,
Please find out the name of the software update you received to fix your discharged and let us know so we can tell our dealers if it happens to us.

Thanks,

Rob
The software update was actually planned that same day the battery died so I can't tell if that was the cure. Maybe they also replaced the ground point? I haven´t received any documentation regarding the fix. Anyway, checked the software version they installed and it is MPR3_ER_POG46_P3276

First Name
Pablo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes SLS
Country flag
Interesting story...interesting enough and well documented enough to warrant an email to Porsche corporate to at least make them aware of the situation.

Many moons ago I had an issue with a brand new 911 where each morning I would go out to my car and find the battery was dead. Had a tech out to have it diagnosed and he could not figure it out, so had it jumped and then towed to my local dealer. Local dealer tells me they simply replaced the battery and now all good to go. Happens another FOUR times and each time, same drill with tech comes out, jump car, off to dealership and each time they tell me there’s some new issue and that they’ve got it resolved, only to wake up each morning to a dead battery.

Then the strangeness starts with the local dealer basically telling me I don’t drive the car enough and that I should charge the battery up each night with a trickle charger. My response was “I just spent $160K on a new 911 and you want me to charge it up each night like my iPhone”??!! I said no way, but then strangely, two days later a little trickle charger (one of those $35 deals) appears in my mail...no note, no return address, just weird. I phone up the dealer and ask my rep if they sent it and his response; “yes, but there will be no charge for it”!! I thought it was a joke but then decided it was time to send some emails and make some calls to Porsche corporate in addition to talking to a Lemon Law lawyer..

Sidebar: at this stage, my car was sitting at the shop for almost 2 months with them trying to figure out what the issue was. Fourth time was actually the charm and turns out my Nav system was somehow not shutting down after the engine was off and was slowly draining the battery each evening. After they fixed that problem, all was well but sadly, the thrill with the car was gone for me.

Flash forward a few more weeks and a lot of back and forth with Porsche corporate and they agree to take the car back and give me a full refund.

A long and painful process but even that has not completely spoiled the fun of owning a Porsche...just waiting for all the madness around Corona to die down a bit before I go back to my dealer (no, not the same dealer!) to place an order for a Taycan:)

KerbMonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
?
Country flag
Interesting story...interesting enough and well documented enough to warrant an email to Porsche corporate to at least make them aware of the situation.

Many moons ago I had an issue with a brand new 911 where each morning I would go out to my car and find the battery was dead. Had a tech out to have it diagnosed and he could not figure it out, so had it jumped and then towed to my local dealer. Local dealer tells me they simply replaced the battery and now all good to go. Happens another FOUR times and each time, same drill with tech comes out, jump car, off to dealership and each time they tell me there’s some new issue and that they’ve got it resolved, only to wake up each morning to a dead battery.

Then the strangeness starts with the local dealer basically telling me I don’t drive the car enough and that I should charge the battery up each night with a trickle charger. My response was “I just spent $160K on a new 911 and you want me to charge it up each night like my iPhone”??!! I said no way, but then strangely, two days later a little trickle charger (one of those $35 deals) appears in my mail...no note, no return address, just weird. I phone up the dealer and ask my rep if they sent it and his response; “yes, but there will be no charge for it”!! I thought it was a joke but then decided it was time to send some emails and make some calls to Porsche corporate in addition to talking to a Lemon Law lawyer..

Sidebar: at this stage, my car was sitting at the shop for almost 2 months with them trying to figure out what the issue was. Fourth time was actually the charm and turns out my Nav system was somehow not shutting down after the engine was off and was slowly draining the battery each evening. After they fixed that problem, all was well but sadly, the thrill with the car was gone for me.

Flash forward a few more weeks and a lot of back and forth with Porsche corporate and they agree to take the car back and give me a full refund.

A long and painful process but even that has not completely spoiled the fun of owning a Porsche...just waiting for all the madness around Corona to die down a bit before I go back to my dealer (no, not the same dealer!) to place an order for a Taycan:)
That’s shocking...
These kind of issues are quite common with normal cars. But not that hard to trace. Every car I’ve worked on has shown the idle amps drain - if it’s above the specs then you just keep pulling fuses until you see the current drop

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
This is the exact recall info I got from the service consultant.

WLB3 – Replace ground point for external power connection.
Apparently that Recall was known at the time my car was in Service, and the Technician was communicating with the Porsche TechLine. However, this recall was NOT mentioned as a fix for my problem.

So, parts have been ordered. My car will (at some point) get that repair, but it might not be The Fix.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
Electrical issues are a problem- even in Porsches. They just bought back Nick Murray 911 because of electrical issues. I feel so fortunate with the new 991.1 that I bought in 2012 that I never had any electrical problems. I credit it to not driving it in the rain or snow, but I may have just been lucky.

Chuck J

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
Electrical issues are a problem- even in Porsches. They just bought back Nick Murray 911 because of electrical issues. I feel so fortunate with the new 991.1 that I bought in 2012 that I never had any electrical problems. I credit it to not driving it in the rain or snow, but I may have just been lucky.

Chuck J
FWIW I have an early-production 991.1 S cabriolet and I've never had any electrical gremlins. I was a little nervous about getting something so early in the production, but the only issue I had was actually with dealer prep--where Porsche had changed the procedure starting with the 991 cabriolet deliveries to use a different driving distance, and the dealer hadn't realized. When I got exactly 6.2 miles from the dealer on the drive home, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree and the car went into some sort of safety mode. I called the dealer and ended up taking the car back. It took them a while to figure it out, but it turned out that the previous delivery procedure had involved driving the car 5 miles or so while plugged into some sort of external PC for monitoring, where mine was one of the first of a batch that required a 10km (6.2 mile) drive. They were embarrassed and showered me with all kinds of free merchandise, which I happily accepted. Not bad, all in all.

Vertical

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, many other P-cars
Country flag
I just got off the phone with my local Porche dealer and the service rep told me there is a new recall for the car (9 days old). The recall is to replace the ground point external power connection. He said this could cause power drain from the 12V battery.
They did mine yesterday

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Mine is done, too.

Now, a few more attempts at reproducing the problem, each attempt takes a day or more. Can’t attempt where failure happens on a weekend (I can’t recover the car without the Service Technician, and he works M-F.) So, it’ll be a while before I fell confident.

r553

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
981 Spyder, 2015 Cayenne Diesel, 2020 Taycan 4s
Country flag
louv,
What is your test configuration? Have you gotten a failure with the Porsche charger yet? My dealer didn't know about the ground stud recall, they are researching it....

Rob
Sponsored