Great FREE Porsche app for capturing & analysing real-time driving data (requires MY22+ & Sport Chrono)

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
I decided to familiarise myself with the free Porsche Track Precision app (for Android phones or the other one) as a potentially useful tool for my upcoming track tuition course. Not only does it automatically recognise and lap time many circuits (and can easily be taught additional ones), it also has a “free driving” mode which can be used to log recreational driving, such as trips on public roads or wherever.

It connects wirelessly to the car’s PCM, and logs a fairly rich data set at intervals of 0.1 second (see spreadsheet sample at end). It can also be configured to automatically capture brief video recordings (by the phone’s cameras or a Porsche dashcam) of “moments”, as identified by higher g-forces laterally or longitudinally.

The app allows the logged data to be reviewed by predefined or user-configurable data sets, zooming in and out at any points either on a timeline of the trip or on a Google Earth Satellite View of the route.

So far (after 3 trips), the app seems to work impeccably (the only issue I’ve noticed has been due to my phone’s flaky GPS reception in certain places- noticeable when playing back a trip and seeing the car’s location jittering back and forth along some sections of a route). Well done Porsche- I'm impressed!

Example screenshots-

Porsche Taycan Great FREE Porsche app for capturing & analysing real-time driving data (requires MY22+ & Sport Chrono) Screenshot_20230902_105302_Track Precision

Porsche Taycan Great FREE Porsche app for capturing & analysing real-time driving data (requires MY22+ & Sport Chrono) Screenshot_20230902_105413_Track Precision

At the foot of each screen is a “Drive on your limit (%)” plot, which compares the instantaneous total g-force with the maximum you achieved during the session- so more meaningful when analysing multiple laps, more of a gimmick when driving safely and legally on public roads.

But that’s not all- there’s a data export function, with a .csv file option, which is perfect for me as
I live my life by spreadsheet, particularly when it comes to organising and analysing stuff.

Here’s some sample data- the header uses the App’s terminology, below which I’ve added the relevant units of measure (note that the raw data’s choice of units doesn’t always match those displayed in the App).
Porsche Taycan Great FREE Porsche app for capturing & analysing real-time driving data (requires MY22+ & Sport Chrono) sample data

(I realise that none of this may be news to the experienced trackers on the forum, but I thought it might be of more general interest, especially as it's free and it works).

ehi

First Name
Thehi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
can this download historical data from the car? from driving that happened prior to enabling the app?

OP
OP
WuffvonTrips

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
There's no facility through the UI as far as I can tell, though maybe it might be possible to hack it to get at historical data. But then do we know what's retained on the vehicle and for how long before it's deleted or offloaded to a Porsche server? I guess the data scope and duration might differ for legislated requirements and diagnostic purposes.

ehi

First Name
Thehi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
no luck here. after attempting setup, the error message says: "function not enabled. your vehicle is not enabled for the Porsche precision app ..."

OP
OP
WuffvonTrips

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
no luck here. after attempting setup, the error message says: "function not enabled. your vehicle is not enabled for the Porsche precision app ..."
Sorry, I've only just noticed that Taycan compatibility requires MY22+ and Sport Chrono- I'll update my OP with that. Would that explain your issue?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
can this download historical data from the car? from driving that happened prior to enabling the app?
I doubt much if any data other than maxima and minima are stored in the car, all the data you have in the app will have been requested by and stored in the phone.

ehi

First Name
Thehi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
aahhh that could explain it. no sportchrono pkg here

Crick

First Name
Crick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volt, 2009 BMW X5D, 2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Bummer that only MY22+ work with this app

OP
OP
WuffvonTrips

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Bummer that only MY22+ work with this app
It's an odd one- I thought that all Taycans could now be updated with the latest PCM software. If you have the latest PCM version and the necessary Sport Chrono package, maybe worth a try anyway?

DCYL725

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2021
Country flag
SMH, you need be more flat across the paet oftrack you showed us.

the telemetry data is telling us other wise.

OP
OP
WuffvonTrips

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
SMH, you need be more flat across the paet oftrack you showed us.

the telemetry data is telling us other wise.
Yep, I didn't even get near the speed limit (which was 70mph = 113kph) on that particular section of the public highway- too much traffic and a blind roundabout. But I thought it was an interesting sample of data to demonstrate all the parameters being logged and displayed.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Example screenshots-

Screenshot_20230902_105302_Track Precision.jpg
Hey - def a fun app to play with - did you have to mess with settings to get that 'butterflied' or 'mirrored' data display in map view? It may just be the fact I was going so slow in the neighborhood in this snap that data variance is too small to display like yours but mine seems to be a one-sided graph attached to the car track vs mirrored?

Porsche Taycan Great FREE Porsche app for capturing & analysing real-time driving data (requires MY22+ & Sport Chrono) IMG_2442.PNG

OP
OP
WuffvonTrips

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Hey - def a fun app to play with - did you have to mess with settings to get that 'butterflied' or 'mirrored' data display in map view? It may just be the fact I was going so slow in the neighborhood in this snap that data variance is too small to display like yours but mine seems to be a one-sided graph attached to the car track vs mirrored?

IMG_2442.PNG
Interesting- no, I get the mirrored effect (not symmetrical where there's any lateral component) by default when I select Total Accel. If I select Longitudinal only, the plot only appears on the car's left side (regardless of cornering), and if I select Lateral, the plot is always on the outside of each turn (like your example).

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Interesting- no, I get the mirrored effect (not symmetrical where there's any lateral component) by default when I select Total Accel. If I select Longitudinal only, the plot only appears on the car's left side (regardless of cornering), and if I select Lateral, the plot is always on the outside of each turn (like your example).
Ah, OK, that might make sense i.e. plots are only symmetric about the track when the forces being measured are in a head-on direction. Thx!
Sponsored