Home Chargers - ClipperCreek or ChargePoint?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Did Porsche also mention their own 80A wallbox when getting your order?
They mentioned it to me when I placed my order in Feb ‘21, but they didn’t know when it would be released at the time.

I think Porsche made a typo in the price because it looks reasonable...
Sponsored

OP
OP

PeterL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S soon
Country flag
Did Porsche also mention their own 80A wallbox when getting your order? I stumbled over it in their web shop. Seems not to be available yet, but in summer though. Plus there is not much info available and it does not look very portable at all ;)

https://shop.porsche.com/us/en/porsche-wall-charger-connect/p/$B-HCHH0LAA/
They flagged I hadn't ordered the PMCC during the order review but said nothing about the new Wall Charger Connect. Personally, even if they had, I wouldn't have been interested - don't you need the 19.2 kW option to use the Wall Charger at its full capacity and that option isn't available in the USA anymore? And the beefier home circuitry to handle it as well.

BTW, I have decided to go with the ChargePoint Home Flex instead of the ClipperCreek simply because the ChargePoint was delivered last week, the ClipperCreek is still projected for June. I will do an outdoor plug install on the ChargePoint, even though that means it won't operate at its max 48 amp setting; code here requires a 60 amp hardwire to have a disconnect as well and I prefer the simpler install of the plug. The plug install also gives me the flexibility of doing a straightforward swap with the ClipperCreek if the ChargePoint doesn't work out for some reason.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

elberk

First Name
Elber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M5, Kia e-Niro
This is just PMCC (at some point later this year it will support 19.2kw) inside the docking station.
I also thought at first. But following the installation manual it definitely isn't. It has configuration options for the electrician to set it up for a hardwired connection. No sockets or changeable adapter cables.

Porsche Taycan Home Chargers - ClipperCreek or ChargePoint? 1619636449133

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I also thought at first. But following the installation manual it definitely isn't. It has configuration options for the electrician to set it up for a hardwired connection. No sockets or changeable adapter cables.

1619636449133.png
In the US there is no approved plug type to support charging above 40Amps so any charger for 48/60/80A must be hardwired. But still this looks like a hardwired PMCC inside a docking station. It also seems Porsche has chosen to make the docking station mandatory for their 19.2kw charger which I have mixed feelings about because it is a bulky and unnecessary accessory. I have one and it is sitting in its box. All other 3rd party chargers make the hardwired connection in a small electrical box so their hardwired versions are not bigger than the ones with plugs.

Last edited:

SFEVER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Hyundai Kona EV, Ducati SFV4S
Country flag
Im in N. California and have two spare chargers a Tesla (hardwired)used to be for the MS and a Juice Box 40 new in box (hardwired) was going to put it at the office... if there is a shortage out there just PM me Ill sell you one. At home I have two Charge points and they just rock and work every time!!
Sponsored