Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Presumably the French law about installing EV points does not apply if I'm only having a 3 phase socket on the wall installed and using the PMCC.
I am not 100% certain but I would think the law about the installation still is applicable when you connect the EVSE via a plug. There are requirements on how the earth leakage switches should be rated. But I am sure your electrician or Eneeis can advise you. Porsche also earlier offered some kind of survey etc to give the correct advise. Not sure if tht still is applicable though. Ask your dealer.

Can I set the KW for charging in the car? As mentioned I could have a higher KW in summer when we are not using the electric heaters.
No you can not adjust the charging rate in the car, but you can easily do that on the PMCC. There is a menu , where you just adjust the amps that the EVSE should deliver. In my case I can adjust it between 6 amps and up to the max of 32 amps. The unit normally runs at 16 amps per phase. It uses all 3 phases all the time.

So my garage is too far away from the house to get wifi; is this a problem?
With the PMCC you can make it link to your network via Power Line Communication (PLC), but you would need a PLC modem close to your router than as well. But they are easily installed if needed.

You can also buy a Home Energy Manager from Porsche and that can then automatically adjust your charging rate, depending on your overall load in your property. That would stop it from tripping any fuse. If you later install Solar Power you can also programme this to use Solar energy for charging. But again that is a 500 Euro option and it is much easier to just limit the power on the PMCC.

I think I would spec the 22kw onboard charger. I travel to the UK regularly so will never know what I will find on the journey in France but probablt worse in the UK.
I also travel regularly to the UK from the Italian border. Never had any issue to find and plan charging stops along the main motorways. There is more limited availability of chargers in the north west of France than the rest of the country, but still no problems.

I can recommend that you download the A Better Route Planner (ABRP) app and try the routes you intend to use. It is easy to set departure and destination and plans your charging stops. Not 100% accurate but damn close. And you can adjust a lot of parameters so that it plans good stops.

We have all started with these questions, about charging, some years ago and trust me things have improved massively in the last couple of years. Some of the road trips by @tigerbalm and also @Pozuelo are worth searching for here on the forum, to read.
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Sorry forgot yo include the two screen shots

Porsche Taycan Newbie question on home chargers B577E3AB-74B8-4B5D-AC71-BAE6D1E78804
Porsche Taycan Newbie question on home chargers B577E3AB-74B8-4B5D-AC71-BAE6D1E78804
Porsche Taycan Newbie question on home chargers 8F7FF7C1-2E77-439F-8A29-97B6B3A1F062

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Brilliat thank you. I will read through these. Very helpful
Forgot to add that when you are out on the road travel then always target DC charging over AC charging (plentiful in most places - UK / Europe) wherever possible and just requires a little planning (the car will do a lot of this for you when using NAV and the in-built Charging Planner of course).

AC charging is 'slow' and DC charging is 'fast' to 'ultrafast' - you may already realise this but just in case you didn't. AC has to be converted to DC before the battery can be charged (native DC) and as you can get higher kW DC EVSEs - 50 to 350kW - then there's clearly a lot more power available to perform the charging task and less time spent charging.

OP
OP
Kev946

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
Thanks great info.

So can the PMCC be plugged into a single phase supply. I'm thinking when I'm visiting my parents in the UK.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks great info.

So can the PMCC be plugged into a single phase supply. I'm thinking when I'm visiting my parents in the UK.
Yes it can - single or three phase.

You will (or should) get two supply cables - an industrial one (5 pin RED) and one for plugging into a standard home plug in France (2 pin I guess, for UK as you know this is a 3 pin 13A). You may need an adapter or a UK supply cable for the PMCC (available separately).

To be honest I wouldn't bother taking the PMCC on a try unless your really have to as to charge on a 13A plug will take literally days unless your folks have and EV supply point for plugging in to and you can then use the appropriate industrial supply connector for the receptacle available.

The PMCC will auto select what type of supply it is connect to so no drama there.

So what set up do your folks have at home, do they have any EV set up?

OP
OP
Kev946

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes it can - single or three phase.

You will (or should) get two supply cables - an industrial one (5 pin RED) and one for plugging into a standard home plug in France (2 pin I guess, for UK as you know this is a 3 pin 13A). You may need an adapter or a UK supply cable for the PMCC (available separately).

To be honest I wouldn't bother taking the PMCC on a try unless your really have to as to charge on a 13A plug will take literally days unless your folks have and EV supply point for plugging in to and you can then use the appropriate industrial supply connector for the receptacle available.

The PMCC will auto select what type of supply it is connect to so no drama there.

So what set up do your folks have at home, do they have any EV set up?
Nothing I would need an extension from their garage. But when I stay I work from their house so would be parked up for long periods;

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Nothing I would need an extension from their garage. But when I stay I work from their house so would be parked up for long periods;
No don't do this nor can you use a normal 13A fuse extension such as you might use for a hoover etc. this would be utterly unsafe so please research this. Charging will be glacially slow anyway 1 - 3 kW at most.

Suggest charging before you park up - you'll get 230 - 250 miles on a full charge! Car can stay idle and charged for weeks.

The PMCC is quite heavy and has thick cables so not really "mobile" despite the name.

OP
OP
Kev946

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No don't do this nor can you use a normal 13A fuse extension such as you might use for a hoover etc. this would be utterly unsafe so please research this. Charging will be glacially slow anyway 1 - 3 kW at most.

Suggest charging before you park up - you'll get 230 - 250 miles on a full charge! Car can stay idle and charged for weeks.

The PMCC is quite heavy and has thick cables so not really "mobile" despite the name.
What are my options then for charging when away at my parents in the UK. I believe I can change the amps in the unit down to 13a so why is this not possible please? Thanks

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
What are my options then for charging when away at my parents in the UK. I believe I can change the amps in the unit down to 13a so why is this not possible please? Thanks
You can do this but you mentioned an extension cable as part of the mix which is why I said "no". This therefore limits where you can plug into the mains as the supply cable is very short (see the diagram in the PMCC manual I posted earlier).

So standard PMCC supply cable for UK (13A 3 pin plug) plugged directly into a 3 pin wall socket. This will power the PMCC.

Using an extension cable on the supply cable will lead to overheating and a potential fire risk.

You can extend the PMCC to car cable using an appropriate EVSE extension cable.

PMCC on a single phase supply provides 7.4kW of power which translates to a charge rate of 0.3 miles of range added per minute. In comparison,.a 13A plug can take a max of 3kW and so at most add 0.13 miles of range every minute (8 miles an hour).

Hope that's clear?

OP
OP
Kev946

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You can do this but you mentioned an extension cable as part of the mix which is why I said "no". This therefore limits where you can plug into the mains as the supply cable is very short (see the diagram in the PMCC manual I posted earlier).

So standard PMCC supply cable for UK (13A 3 pin plug) plugged directly into a 3 pin wall socket. This will power the PMCC.

Using an extension cable on the supply cable will lead to overheating and a potential fire risk.

You can extend the PMCC to car cable using an appropriate EVSE extension cable.

PMCC on a single phase supply provides 7.4kW of power which translates to a charge rate of 0.3 miles of range added per minute. In comparison,.a 13A plug can take a max of 3kW and so at most add 0.13 miles of range every minute (8 miles an hour).

Hope that's clear?
Thanks
Sponsored