Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS ST, VW EOS, 71 & 72 VW Camper
Country flag
OK so I'll be placing an order soon but wanted to check out my options on wall chargers. I'm in France and my house has 12KVA 12kw. We have electric heating and have managed to trip the power once. So on the limit. My Electricity supplier tells me 12KVA is the max for my house as we are on single phase. I've requested a quote for an upgrade to 3 phase. I can then have 15, 18 or 24kw. This is assuming it's available from the infrastructure to my house. They will also be quoting for installing a wall charger.

So my question is what do I ask for. If I upgrade to 24kw then an 11kw wall charger becomes and option I think. Should I also buy my own wall charger and then get an electrician to install. What type/make model should I go for to ensure Porsche warranty etc. Remember I'm in France.

Excuse my ignorance as I am still learning about EVs.

Thanks
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I am also in France, but have three phase of 36 kVA into the house. I have the supplied expensive (only option at the time) Porsche Charger. I think they now supply a smaller simpler charger that can still deliver 11 kW on a three phase supply.

Any reputable EVSE like the Tesla Wall Connector etc will do just fine. It is a standardised unit and will not have any impact on any Porsche warranty. Remember it really is not a charger, but more a sophisticated really that supplies power to the car. The real charger is built into the Taycan. Preferably a EVSE that you can set to different charge levels, in case you would trip your fuse again. The Tesla Wall Connector and the Porsche PMCC can be set at low levels, should you wish to do so.

You can buy one yourself if it is not supplied with the car, but you will ceratinly need a good electrician to install the correct cable as well as protection device with fuse. Your Porsche dealer should be able to advise you about a suitable installer that they recommend. You can also check around for electricians that are qualified and certified to install EVSE. Check with your electricity supplier.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
OK so I'll be placing an order soon but wanted to check out my options on wall chargers. I'm in France and my house has 12KVA 12kw. We have electric heating and have managed to trip the power once. So on the limit. My Electricity supplier tells me 12KVA is the max for my house as we are on single phase. I've requested a quote for an upgrade to 3 phase. I can then have 15, 18 or 24kw. This is assuming it's available from the infrastructure to my house. They will also be quoting for installing a wall charger.

So my question is what do I ask for. If I upgrade to 24kw then an 11kw wall charger becomes and option I think. Should I also buy my own wall charger and then get an electrician to install. What type/make model should I go for to ensure Porsche warranty etc. Remember I'm in France.

Excuse my ignorance as I am still learning about EVs.

Thanks
No warranty concern so any EVSE of your choosing will suffice. The actual charger is physically in the car and not the EVSE / wallbox - it's roll is simply to supply a safe flow of electricity to the car's onboard charger.

3 phase needed for 11kW to max out your standard AC Taycan onboard charger. I suspect the cost of a 3 phase supply may put you off for marginal benefit especially if charging overnight (no need for it really).

If you pay the small fortune to upgrade the standard AC Taycan onboard charger to 22kW then having 3 phase at home would be a clear advantage.

Standard Porsche EVSE PMC+ will provide up to 9.6kW (7.4kW on single phase via a dedicated 32A supply and perfect for overnight charging) and the optional and expensive PMCC will support up to 22kW.

OP
OP
Kev946

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks guys. EDF say I cannot have any upgrade to 12KVA if I stay single phase so 3 phase is the only option. Enedis are in process of quoting.

My current 12KVA is pretty much maxed out with all the electric radiators, cooker etc in the house. I have even managed to trip the 60A trip on one occasion when the house was cold. So even a 3.6KW added could be a problem.

Also my garage is quite a way from the house so will need external 3 phase cable installing hence me thinking of using an electrician.

Scandinavian where in France are you. Does the electrician I choose need to be qualified for wall chargers i France. I know a very good electrician and he is sure to be cheaper especially if I buy my own wall charger.

Thanks all

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks guys. EDF say I cannot have any upgrade to 12KVA if I stay single phase so 3 phase is the only option. Enedis are in process of quoting.

My current 12KVA is pretty much maxed out with all the electric radiators, cooker etc in the house. I have even managed to trip the 60A trip on one occasion when the house was cold. So even a 3.6KW added could be a problem.

Also my garage is quite a way from the house so will need external 3 phase cable installing hence me thinking of using an electrician.

Scandinavian where in France are you. Does the electrician I choose need to be qualified for wall chargers i France. I know a very good electrician and he is sure to be cheaper especially if I buy my own wall charger.

Thanks all
Why buy another EVSE when you already get one with the car?

You won't get.the full 11kW and likely closer to 10kW.

OP
OP
Kev946

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The cost of the wall charger is going to be significantly less than the the upgrade to 3 phase so I may as well investigate an 11kw

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The cost of the wall charger is going to be significantly less than the the upgrade to 3 phase so I may as well investigate an 11kw
Depending on the actual supply you may not get precisely 11kW - this is why the PMC+ is rated at 9.6kW and I would guess other branded EVSEs will provide the same. To get 9.6kW you still need 3 phase.

OP
OP
Kev946

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Depending on the actual supply you may not get precisely 11kW - this is why the PMC+ is rated at 9.6kW and I would guess other branded EVSEs will provide the same. To get 9.6kW you still need 3 phase.
Yes this is what EDF said.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yes this is what EDF said.
I know but my point was why waste money on another EVSE when you have one which will take advantage of your 3 phase supply?

EVSEs rated at 11kW don't necessarily provide 11kW due to loses etc and so you end up nearer 10kW and for the sake of .5kW you won't see the gain.

OP
OP
Kev946

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I know but my point was why waste money on another EVSE when you have one which will take advantage of your 3 phase supply?

EVSEs rated at 11kW don't necessarily provide 11kW due to loses etc and so you end up nearer 10kW and for the sake of .5kW you won't see the gain.
Sorry I don't understand. Don' t I need a wall charger access point to plug it in?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I live close to Monaco. And yes I think the installation of an EVSE by law is required to be done by a certified installer. Have a look at this website. I am sure your local electrician will be able to install the necessary cable. And if your distance between panel and garage is great, expect the cable cost and laying to be quite costly.

https://www.ev-pow.com/installation-evpow

If you get a full 3 phase with the correctly dimensioned cable you can easily get 11 kW from the EVSE and the losses will then be in the charger in the car.

In my case I have a 32 amp CEE three phase soclet with the corresponding plug on the PMCC. I can then, in theory, take the PMCC on a trip. But it is very bulky, so not used that way. It could also be possible to just hardwire a EVSE without a plug, and that is what we have for our Tesla.

Have a good look at that website since there is much information there.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well if you get 3 phase and have correctly dimensioned cables you will get 11 kW no problems. I do not know the rating for the PMC+, but the PMCC delivers 22 kW as well as the Tesla Wall connector.

And that is used together with a large air to water heat pump, pool pumps plus all domestic appliances.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Sorry I don't understand. Don' t I need a wall charger access point to plug it in?
Yes. Your electrician should install an appropriate supply socket on a suitable fuse for 11kW (or whatever your standard is) supply from the fuse box. You then connect your EVSE to this.

The supply socket is generic and will support any EVSE you may choose to add in the future.

OP
OP
Kev946

Kev946

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well if you get 3 phase and have correctly dimensioned cables you will get 11 kW no problems. I do not know the rating for the PMC+, but the PMCC delivers 22 kW as well as the Tesla Wall connector.

And that is used together with a large air to water heat pump, pool pumps plus all domestic appliances.
I'm struggling to understand. What is a PMCC and don't have a pool.

I'm trying to work out what I ask the installer for.
Sponsored