epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Keep in mind I have not yet even cracked the manual. I haven't found a simple "charge to x%" but in the car and on the app when you set a departure time you can specify the charge level. So I just set one for departure every day at 915 am at 85% with preconditioning, then when I plug in the car smartly delays charging until it needs to to get to what I want when I leave. This is good in that it reduces the car sitting at a high charge idle. Also the car has a profile setting for "minimum charge" by default at 35%, so when you get home if your battery is too low it will charge up to that, they delay the rest based on departure.

Well thought out, I just wish they has a global setting for charge on plug in for what percent (like range, longevity, etc).
Sponsored

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Seems an awful lot to have in reserve and not being used. And thinking of the cost for the 4S battery upgrade we pay for it but do not get anything for that reserve.

They must be super conservative with their estimate of battery life? Maybe they will release more of the capacity once they get real life feedback from cars being driven on the rods?
I think Porsche is very conservative as well as wanting to give Performance in all aspects of the vehicle. And that includes charging.
Now let me state I am not trying to bash Tesla in the least here and this is a video from Mid-2017 before some more S/W updates to up their charging levels and certainly not the "Raven" refresh battery and this is a Model S not a Model 3, etc, etc etc. But you can see from the graph in this video which is very standard with other EVs too that charging rates drop dramatically near the top end.
Video from Bjørn Nyland (aka Tesla Bjorn) from Norway and YouTube fame.

Note: I did try to find a more up-to-date charging graph for a P100D Raven but could not. Only graphs for the Model 3 and I do not want to compare that car to a Taycan as its a segment difference.

See the 100kWh pack was down to 75kW charging at 78% and dropping fast, 65kW at 80% and 40kW at 90%.
The Taycan (with optimal temp etc) is at 200kW at 55%, 140kW at 76%, 120kW at 80%, 50kW to 96% and 20kW all the way to 100%...
It's very impressive. Now I know as the battery deteriorates some that charge rate may not stay quite so impressive, but Porsche is trying to make the car feel more responsive in many dimensions.

See the very good Alex on Autos charging video discussed in this thread:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/optimal-taycan-charging.720/#post-7575

As far as battery settings, I would probably set mine to 85% normally and change to 100% for road trips only.

Last edited: