Just picked up a Model 3 Performance ...

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I can't believe I'm saying this - but I'm scheduling a test drive to see if a Model 3 Performance is a good car to tide me over until Porsche has actual EV sports cars.
Had the previous M3P before I replaced it with the Taycan GTS. My wife loved driving that M3P because it was nimble and compact compared to our other Model X. Ever since replacing it with the Taycan, she went back to the Model X and almost never touched the Taycan because she has so much pressure driving it, namely needing to lift/angle to avoid scrapings, useless rear view camera, and needing to turn on/off/lock the car.

Gotta give Tesla credits where it’s due.
Very similar situation in my household. We swapped a Model 3 + 911 for a Taycan.
Wife used to love the Model 3.
I used to love the 911.

I thought the Taycan would be the best of both worlds...
The wife dislikes driving the Taycan, she sticks to her Model X now. The kids hate the Taycan (space issues mostly, but also the crappy software).
And I miss my 911.
Sponsored

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
For people who are complaining about not having stalks, I was concerned about it as well but 99% of the time you don't need to use it because it automatically puts it in drive or reverse for you based on the situation around the car. The only time it's less than ideal is when you have to make a k turn but supposedly that's being improved in the next software update. I would say it puts it in the correct gear 98% of the time.

Just something to think about if that's holding you back...

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
I totally feel this. Tesla definitely is best at quality of life features. But the Taycan wins on performance, materials, and build quality. If only the two were combined, we'd have the perfect EV.
If nothing else, I hope Porsche would implement walk away locking.
Yes the only complain she had with the Model 3 was the cheap quality, especially after having the Taycan. So earlier this year I threw out an idea of getting the new Model 3 refresh because I thought she liked driving it, but she said no. She said she just doesn’t like the cheap interior quality, and probably the fact everyone has one. I ended up getting an EQS for her due to the incredible deals. I don’t think she’s complained about the interior so far!

Wattsjr9

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Flame suit on.

This is my 5th Tesla (ducks!!). I think this might be my new DD. Butt dyno says it's faster than my 4S, will need to do some canyon driving this weekend. But Tesla has hit this out of the park. Suspension is best I've ever driven in a Tesla. 2 previous X ('16 90D, '22 Raven,), current '22 X Plaid. Also have a '17 Model 3. the new M3P is the best manufactured Tesla I've ever owned. Not a single flaw for rejection during pick up. Stealth Grey, White Interior.

The bucket seats are awesome, not adjustable. I still love my 18-way, but the Tesla one is soft yet firm. I love the Porsche active seats where it hugs you during hard braking.

Build quality has vastly improved over the years @ Tesla. This new active suspension is amazing. I think if they put this across the line to other Model 3s and Ys, they'll sell a another bazillion of them.

It's no Porsche, but for 1/3 the price, it's a damn bargain. yes, comparing apples to oranges. I think if Tesla keep doing this, legacy manufacturers will need to keep reinventing. Was planning on ordering a Macan Turbo (new car year, but now spent it on the M3P), yes I know, completely different cars. Macan Turbo optioned out to $131k. Now I kinda want to see what they're going to do with a refreshed Model Y Performance.

-ThinkMac-
Good write up, but Elon isn’t getting any more of my money…for a lot of reasons.

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Perf, Genesis GV60 Perf, Audi Q5 TDi
Country flag
Refreshed Model 3P’s acceleration is proving to be about equal to a Taycan Turbo’s, and slightly ahead of the Ioniq5N’s. This combined with the suspension and other improvements makes for a pretty amazing performance value.
It’s no Taycan Turbo, but it’s hard to argue with at 1/3 the price…

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
A small note on Tesla and phone-as-key. With 2 phones, Teslas get confused, which is not surprising since the car obviously cannot read people's minds, with 2 people in the car, it picks whichever phone was in range first.
This might be new to the 2024 model, but ours lets you specify which phone is priority if both are in range.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Good write up, but Elon isn’t getting any more of my money…for a lot of reasons.
100% understood. I held my nose and bought anyway, because the wife is as big as Tesla fan now as I am a Porsche fan. She won't drive anything else. I tell myself there are plenty of good people doing great work at that company.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
I don't mean to offend, but I wouldn't even consider a Tesla, regardless of price. I know they are quick and offer decent value, but I can't get past the interior layout and design, cheap materials. quality issues and the fact that Musk owns the company.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Refreshed Model 3P’s acceleration is proving to be about equal to a Taycan Turbo’s, and slightly ahead of the Ioniq5N’s. This combined with the suspension and other improvements makes for a pretty amazing performance value.
It’s no Taycan Turbo, but it’s hard to argue with at 1/3 the price…
60-130mph is considerably slower than a Turbo. New 3P gets all of its power from 0-110mph and thats it. Taycan is created for Autobahn driving

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Indeed, but the Taycan’s real acceleration advantage is above about 100mph.
How much time does anyone outside of Germany spend above 100mph?

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Indeed, but the Taycan’s real acceleration advantage is above about 100mph.
How much time does anyone outside of Germany spend above 100mph?
It's advantage is after 60mph.
I race other cars all time and I'm rarely launching from 0

I drive in Socal at 90mph all the time on the freeway

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's advantage is after 60mph.
I race other cars all time and I'm rarely launching from 0

I drive in Socal at 90mph all the time on the freeway
The previous Model 3P did about 116-117 mph in the 1/4 mile - the new one hits more like 123/124 mph, with much of the increased acceleration happening above ~60 mph….

Last edited:

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The previous Model 3P did about 116-117 mph in the 1/4 mile - the new one hits more like 123/124 mph, with much of the increased acceleration happening above ~60 mph….

60-130 on the Facelift is 9.4sec, Turbo is 8sec, Old Performance was dead after 60 at 11.5sec.

Zcd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
60-130 on the Facelift is 9.4sec, Turbo is 8sec, Old Performance was dead after 60 at 11.5sec.
Refreshed 3P reaches the 1/4 mile in the same 10.8/10.9 seconds as the Turbo, but the Tesla doesn’t require any sort of special launch mode to do so - just mash the accelerator and go, and no pause at any speed for a gearbox to change down.

So in the real world (apart from the Autobahn or 3AM 60mph roll racing in “Mexico”), the 3P’s acceleration is virtually identical to the Turbo’s.

There’s no question that above about 100 mph the Turbo is quicker, but for most drivers/situations, that’s immaterial.
Sponsored