Reset charging profiles/timers

Donar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST ‘22 - Polestar 2 Performance '20
Country flag
I know there are a lot of threads already regarding charging, but I’m so annoyed with charging behavior of my Taycan that I would like to know if there is some kind of method to reset all charging profiles and timers.

Before I had one profile and one timer. Was working perfectly fine. But I wanted to finetune a bit and now it’s broken.

I already deleted everything, but no matter what I put in now, my Taycan will only (1) charge directly to the profile minimum and (2) charge immediately if I select that option.

Currently I have 1 profile with preferred times. My Taycan does charge to the minimum of that profile, but then it falls asleep and does nothing with the set timing. It should just start and stop.

Also adding timers does not do anything. As said: it looks like it falls asleep after the initial charge to the minimum and whatever else I program it doesn’t wake up.

For now I will fix with the minimum charge, so it will charge to whatever I select there, but I would prefer to charge at night again.
Sponsored

agility65

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo S/Tesla 3 & X
Country flag
I could be wrong, but using the "preferred charging period" in my car charges to 100% no matter what the minimum charge is set at. I had to set the charging to "optimized charging" for the minimum charge so that the maximum charge is where the charging stops. Germans think backwards with numbers, which doesn't translate to American thinking.

The timers seem broken, too.

I think they have translated going to the gas station as a metaphor. The timer reminds you to go out and plug in or some such silliness. can't they just copy the Tesla charging paradigm?

Can this be this difficult to get right?

OP
OP
Donar

Donar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had to set the charging to "optimized charging" for the minimum charge so that the maximum charge is where the charging stops.
correct. That is how I’ll using it now.
I want to use preferred times for just a few hours so that it charges at night, but not more than x% (roughly).

Germans think backwards with numbers, which doesn't translate to American thinking.
I think Porsche is the only OEM who uses this ridiculous thinking. Nu Polestar is so much nicer. Just a time slot and a maximum %.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I know there are a lot of threads already regarding charging, but I’m so annoyed with charging behavior of my Taycan that I would like to know if there is some kind of method to reset all charging profiles and timers.

Before I had one profile and one timer. Was working perfectly fine. But I wanted to finetune a bit and now it’s broken.

I already deleted everything, but no matter what I put in now, my Taycan will only (1) charge directly to the profile minimum and (2) charge immediately if I select that option.

Currently I have 1 profile with preferred times. My Taycan does charge to the minimum of that profile, but then it falls asleep and does nothing with the set timing. It should just start and stop.

Also adding timers does not do anything. As said: it looks like it falls asleep after the initial charge to the minimum and whatever else I program it doesn’t wake up.

For now I will fix with the minimum charge, so it will charge to whatever I select there, but I would prefer to charge at night again.
What evse are you using and does it have any programmatic control over a charging session?

Screen shots of timers and profiles would help.

OP
OP
Donar

Donar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What evse are you using and does it have any programmatic control over a charging session?

Screen shots of timers and profiles would help.
I use an Alfen charger. No option to program anything. It’s managed by a third party (it’s the charger from my company car). But the charger is not the problem. No issues with our other 2 EVs.

With below Profile and no Timers the car will charge to 30%, then stops and don’t start up again at 00:00.

*edit: uploading screenshot not working

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I use an Alfen charger. No option to program anything. It’s managed by a third party (it’s the charger from my company car). But the charger is not the problem. No issues with our other 2 EVs.

With below Profile and no Timers the car will charge to 30%, then stops and don’t start up again at 00:00.

*edit: uploading screenshot not working
Sorry, no picture(s) attached.

Taycan and 3rd party managed EVSEs can be problematic unless specifically supported - not all EVs are equal as I'm sure you know. My guess is that there is a conflict between what you have programmed on the PCM and what may be happening with your EVSE.

SDSoccerdad

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag

I am having the same exact issues, which started after the last time I took it in and when I picked it up they told me they did a software update. I sent photos in to the dealer and am waiting for a response.

BTW I use a ChargePoint Home charger and before the update had no issues whatsoever.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
@Donar and @SDSoccerdad, rather than try to troubleshoot you individually, I'll let you know my setup, which had been working for me since November. My EVSE uses no smart features and all charge times are set through the Taycan.

First, there are actually three screens of settings (on the app, at least) and they all have to live in harmony. Under the Overview, I leave direct charging turned off. I want my car to charge only when I tell it to.
Porsche Taycan Reset charging profiles/timers 1000001961

Next, my General profile is set to a minimum 35% and preferred charging between 10pm and 5:45am when my utility rates are lowest. I do not have optimized charging turned on. This will immediately begin charging if I plug in with less than 35% SOC but will do nothing until 10pm if my charge is at or above that minimum.
Porsche Taycan Reset charging profiles/timers 1000001969

Finally, I set a repeating timer to charge to 80% by 5am. I do not set a preferred cabin temperature. This timer, combined with my General profile, means the car will begin charging some time after 10pm and in order to reach 80% SOC by 5am.
Porsche Taycan Reset charging profiles/timers 1000001967

This keeps me always with at least 35% charge when plugged into my EVSE but otherwise only charging only when my utility rates are lowest.

I hope this is helpful as you try to sort through your settings.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
@Donar and @SDSoccerdad, rather than try to troubleshoot you individually, I'll let you know my setup, which had been working for me since November. My EVSE uses no smart features and all charge times are set through the Taycan.

First, there are actually three screens of settings (on the app, at least) and they all have to live in harmony. Under the Overview, I leave direct charging turned off. I want my car to charge only when I tell it to.
1000001961.jpg

Next, my General profile is set to a minimum 35% and preferred charging between 10pm and 5:45am when my utility rates are lowest. I do not have optimized charging turned on. This will immediately begin charging if I plug in with less than 35% SOC but will do nothing until 10pm if my charge is at or above that minimum.
1000001969.jpg

Finally, I set a repeating timer to charge to 80% by 5am. I do not set a preferred cabin temperature. This timer, combined with my General profile, means the car will begin charging some time after 10pm and in order to reach 80% SOC by 5am.
1000001967.jpg

This keeps me always with at least 35% charge when plugged into my EVSE but otherwise only charging only when my utility rates are lowest.

I hope this is helpful as you try to sort through your settings.
This looks fine to me (similar to mine) except I have mine set to 85%.

So charge initially up to minimum of needed (35%) wait for the preferred time and then charge to 80% and ready by 07:30 am.

Perhaps match your preferred end time to 05:00 am rather than 05:45 am.

This setup has worked on 2 different Taycans so not sure why you would have any issue assuming nothing untoward is happening with the EVSE to meddle with your settings.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@W1NGE I'm not having any problems with mine; just added screen shots for the two users who weren't able to add photos (edit: so they can see a working configuration and hopefully troubleshoot their issues)

OP
OP
Donar

Donar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@W1NGE I'm not having any problems with mine; just added screen shots for the two users who weren't able to add photos (edit: so they can see a working configuration and hopefully troubleshoot their issues)
Thanks for the screenshots.

The logic behind the Profiles and Timers is fully clear. And should be able to facilitate my needs. However the software is just not working properly.

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
...the software is just not working properly.
Sorry to hear that's the issue. I was hoping maybe it would be fixable from your end.

enzo5000

First Name
Enzo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S CT, BMW E60 M5, BMW R1250GSA
Country flag

Have you watched Paul Steinbruner's tutorial video. It deciphers the confounding menu settings.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Next, my General profile is set to a minimum 35% and preferred charging between 10pm and 5:45am when my utility rates are lowest.
Finally, I set a repeating timer to charge to 80% by 5am.
Just for commentary, I don’t think your preferred times are doing anything. The timer is within the preferred time window, so the timer is controlling when to start. Its starts after 10pm because the 45% difference between the profile min and the timer target can be achieved starting after 10pm. If it couldn’t, the timer would ignore the preferred times and start earlier.

OP
OP
Donar

Donar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Have you watched Paul Steinbruner's tutorial video. It deciphers the confounding menu settings.

Absolutely! After watching that video I started tweaking my settings and then it didn’t work. Deleted everything and setting it back for the pre tweaking settings, but that then also did not work anymore.

That is why I think it’s a software issue. So if there would be a way to clear the cache..
Sponsored