tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
After a year of Taycan 4S ownership I am in the early stages of a Turbo S purchase – which will be a MY23 car delivered in Jan 2023. I am unsure when my configuration will lock – but likely around August. I still prefer to have as accurate and acceptable order spec in place – so should it lock unexpectedly – I would always be happy. Therefore, I put a lot of thought into this configuration.

This time – I am trying to stick as closely to the – admittedly comprehensive – base spec of the model I am purchasing – rather than over tick options – which I had done in the past on my 4S. I do love my options but the Turbo S is expensive and so I am being disciplined with maximum spend and some perhaps previously "must-have" options are in the recycling bin this time out.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PN4ESV33

===============================

Cosmetic changes from my existing Neptune Blue and Blackberry/Slate

Crayon exterior – with all Blackberry + Crayon deviated stitching interior. Influenced by https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/chalk-taycan-club.2642/page-22#post-132958

Options in my current car that I am not re-ordering

Burmester

After careful auditioning of an Apple lossless playlist that I am familiar with on the Bose system – I am comfortable to keep with the default system this time. The weaknesses of the Bose system compared to my Burmester are clearly heard to me:
  • Bose sound comes more from your feet and the speakers in the doors – where as in Burmester its more up at ear level.
  • The midrange on the Bose is much weaker – with a more pronounced base and treble.
  • The Bose sounds a little more processed and coloured than the neutral Burmester.
However, when in the actual dynamic driving environment – be it a motorway or a twisty alpine road – the differences are less pronounced and detectable. If the Burmester was a €1500 option – it would be in consideration – but a moving car is not a pristine listening experience.

Night view assist

An option that I liked the idea of – but rarely actually used.

Acoustic glass

Having extensively tested the normal glass on Irish roads and motorways – the acoustic glass isn't offering a noticeable quieter experience. The security aspects of this glass isn't a major benefit in my country – thats what insurance is for!

Porsche Innodrive

Speccing ordinary Adaptive Cruise Control with a view to purchasing Feature-on-Demand (FoD) active lane keeping – an option that I value. In Ireland, every option attracts both Sales (VAT) and Registration (New Car) tax. If you purchase via FoD then you don't pay the registration tax so its cheaper this way.

Seat ventilation

I optioned this originally – out of range anxiety – I thought I might drive without air-con on to increase range and use the seat ventilation instead as a lower energy option. In reality – I have the air-con on "eco" mode all the time without no range concerns. Ireland/Northern Europe isn't warm enough to really value this option.

22kW on-board AC charger

OMG! Where do I start?

Defo not adding this to the build at this stage. I and my Porsche Centre do expect something proper is going to be done about the reliability issues of this charger – maybe for the MY23 timeframe.

So we're leaving this out and going to keep a "watching eye" on the situation. If a fix (be it software, hardware or new supplier or all three) is forthcoming – this option will be back up for consideration – most likely only after a call with Porsche Engineering. Its capabilities I value here in Ireland – but not its un-reliability.

Options staying in this new car

Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control Sport (PDCC Sport)

Should be default on a Turbo S – this is a very high performance car – that has rear-axel-steering (RAS) and Porsche torque vectoring plus (PTV+) as standard. It stays on this car due to its capabilities of keeping the car very flat in the corners on a nice alpine road drive.

Remote ParkAssist with Lane Change Assist

Most of this package is a bit gimmicky – can't see myself parking using my iPhone – but the "Rear Cross Traffic Alert" option is actually useful and has saved me on a few occasions. If I could option that on its own for less – I would. Lane Change Assist is an option that is also extremely helpful – especially when I am in Europe on "the wrong side of the road".

Adaptive Cruise Control

Use it so much on my road-trips – cannot imagine this car without the option.

Comfort Access

It's a fine option – would be happy without it – but its a mandatory option if you pick the parking package I have.

HomeLink®

Works solidly with my apartment complex parking garage gate – really value this option – though it doesn't work for a lot of people.

Ioniser

No clue really if it does anything meaningful – always have had it – and its cheap enough to keep it in the build. I suspect it's probably voodoo.

Ambient lighting

Should be standard on all Taycan's.

Heated GT sports steering wheel in leather

This got more use – not only in my arctic trip – but during winter in Ireland – than I would have expected. I considered the heated wheel with carbon fibre – just because of that interior theme in the Turbo S – but at €600 extra – its not worth it. Wish it was default in the Turbo S.

Passenger Display

Many are disappointed by its functionality – but my co-driver gets a lot of value from it – and is an active navigator during our long road-trips. This gets used.

150kW DC on-board booster

An important option as in Ireland there are a lot of 400V 150kW chargers rolled out by our public electrical network provider (ESB)– and with Tesla network opening up this is a must-have option – in Ireland.

New options in this car

Performance

A frankly insane performance increase over the 4S – that's what this car is all about. However, when not pushed it feels like a "normal" Taycan and has no problem trundling along in traffic. Amazing.

"electric" side badge

Never like these but on the Turbo S they are in the same gloss black as the rear model designation and I think now looks better. If I disagree they are easily removed by my Porsche Centre dealer.

Exterior Mirrors painted in Exterior Colour

I do think it makes a subtle difference. An easy to drop option if I had to.

18-way Adaptive Sports Seats with memory package

I always worried that these would be uncomfortable but having had these on a loaner Porsche in France during a 5000km road-trip last summer – they really suited me and I am very happy they are default on the Turbo S.

Blackberry seat belts

A small interior touch – they are actually quite distinctive from the default black belts.

21-inch RS Spyder Design wheels

The cheapest most acceptable wheels for me on the Turbo S. I don't like the default mission-e wheels and don't like the various €1,200 wheel adjustments you can make on that wheel.

Carbon Ceramic brakes

Not required on a EV – I consider these a cosmetic item – that I really like. I missed these on my 4S – having had them on my Panamera Turbo S. The chosen wheels allow them to be more visible too.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Your Porsche Code shows a Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid 🤣
WHAT!

<checking>

Fixed – thanks @pEAkfrEAk.

Btw> went with the deviated stitching in the end – but keeping the Blackberry seatbelts. So I defo did not copy your car.

Thank you for your taste, though!

pEAkfrEAk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S [MY2022]
Country flag
Nice build 👍 Maybe I would rather go with the Turbo and add some more leather options to get rid of the cheap plastic because the extra punch is only noticeable when you do a launch control.
And with deviated stitching I would definitely go with crayon seatbelts over the blackberry ones.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
After a year of Taycan 4S ownership I am in the early stages of a Turbo S purchase – which will be a MY23 car delivered in Jan 2023. I am unsure when my configuration will lock – but likely around August. I still prefer to have as accurate and acceptable order spec in place – so should it lock unexpectedly – I would always be happy. Therefore, I put a lot of thought into this configuration.

This time – I am trying to stick as closely to the – admittedly comprehensive – base spec of the model I am purchasing – rather than over tick options – which I had done in the past on my 4S. I do love my options but the Turbo S is expensive and so I am being disciplined with maximum spend and some perhaps previously "must-have" options are in the recycling bin this time out.

Crayon exterior – with all Blackberry + Crayon deviated stitching interior. Influenced by https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/chalk-taycan-club.2642/page-22#post-132958

Burmester

After careful auditioning of an Apple lossless playlist that I am familiar with on the Bose system – I am comfortable to keep with the default system this time. The weaknesses of the Bose system compared to my Burmester are clearly heard to me:
  • Bose sound comes more from your feet and the speakers in the doors – where as in Burmester its more up at ear level.
  • The midrange on the Bose is much weaker – with a more pronounced base and treble.
  • The Bose sounds a little more processed and coloured than the neutral Burmester.
However, when in the actual dynamic driving environment – be it a motorway or a twisty alpine road – the differences are less pronounced and detectable. If the Burmester was a €1500 option – it would be in consideration – but a moving car is not a pristine listening experience.

Night view assist

Acoustic glass

Having extensively tested the normal glass on Irish roads and motorways – the acoustic glass isn't offering a noticeable quieter experience. The security aspects of this glass isn't a major benefit in my country – thats what insurance is for!

Porsche Innodrive

Speccing ordinary Adaptive Cruise Control with a view to purchasing Feature-on-Demand (FoD) active lane keeping – an option that I value. In Ireland, every option attracts both Sales (VAT) and Registration (New Car) tax. If you purchase via FoD then you don't pay the registration tax so its cheaper this way.

Seat ventilation

I optioned this originally – out of range anxiety – I thought I might drive without air-con on to increase range and use the seat ventilation instead as a lower energy option. In reality – I have the air-con on "eco" mode all the time without no range concerns. Ireland/Northern Europe isn't warm enough to really value this option.

22kW on-board AC charger

OMG! Where do I start?

Defo not adding this to the build at this stage. I and my Porsche Centre do expect something proper is going to be done about the reliability issues of this charger – maybe for the MY23 timeframe.

So we're leaving this out and going to keep a "watching eye" on the situation. If a fix (be it software, hardware or new supplier or all three) is forthcoming – this option will be back up for consideration – most likely only after a call with Porsche Engineering. Its capabilities I value here in Ireland – but not its un-reliability.

Should be default on a Turbo S – this is a very high performance car – that has rear-axel-steering (RAS) and Porsche torque vectoring plus (PTV+) as standard. It stays on this car due to its capabilities of keeping the car very flat in the corners on a nice alpine road drive.

Most of this package is a bit gimmicky – can't see myself parking using my iPhone – but the "Rear Cross Traffic Alert" option is actually useful and has saved me on a few occasions. If I could option that on its own for less – I would. Lane Change Assist is an option that is also extremely helpful – especially when I am in Europe on "the wrong side of the road".

Adaptive Cruise Control

Comfort Access

It's a fine option – would be happy without it – but its a mandatory option if you pick the parking package I have.

HomeLink®

Works solidly with my apartment complex parking garage gate – really value this option – though it doesn't work for a lot of people.

Ioniser

No clue really if it does anything meaningful – always have had it – and its cheap enough to keep it in the build. I suspect it's probably voodoo.

Ambient lighting

This got more use – not only in my arctic trip – but during winter in Ireland – than I would have expected. I considered the heated wheel with carbon fibre – just because of that interior theme in the Turbo S – but at €600 extra – its not worth it. Wish it was default in the Turbo S.

Passenger Display

Many are disappointed by its functionality – but my co-driver gets a lot of value from it – and is an active navigator during our long road-trips. This gets used.

An important option as in Ireland there are a lot of 400V 150kW chargers rolled out by our public electrical network provider (ESB)– and with Tesla network opening up this is a must-have option – in Ireland.

New options in this car

Performance

A frankly insane performance increase over the 4S – that's what this car is all about. However, when not pushed it feels like a "normal" Taycan and has no problem trundling along in traffic. Amazing.

"electric" side badge

Never like these but on the Turbo S they are in the same gloss black as the rear model designation and I think now looks better. If I disagree they are easily removed by my Porsche Centre dealer.

I always worried that these would be uncomfortable but having had these on a loaner Porsche in France during a 5000km road-trip last summer – they really suited me and I am very happy they are default on the Turbo S.

Blackberry seat belts

A small interior touch – they are actually quite distinctive from the default black belts.

The cheapest most acceptable wheels for me on the Turbo S. I don't like the default mission-e wheels and don't like the various €1,200 wheel adjustments you can make on that wheel.

Carbon Ceramic brakes

Not required on a EV – I consider these a cosmetic item – that I really like. I missed these on my 4S – having had them on my Panamera Turbo S. The chosen wheels allow them to be more visible too.
I am always curious as to why some people go for the Turbo S…particularly in the case where there is experience with the 4S. What are your thoughts on this? Btw, not suggesting it’s a bad idea per se but curious on the rationale. I considered it myself but the extra power seemed unusable and came the trade of a bit less range. Given that you know the 4S well, what made you decide to go for it?

OP
OP
tigerbalm

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's a reasonable question – and there is – as with many Porsche's – a bit of heart over head. I spend my working day making rational decisions – and for me a Porsche fits on the fun/road-trip/enthusiast side of the equation.

I had a Turbo S Panamera and I found the 4S did lack a little something in terms of performance – the kind of thing you only feel when being familiar with more power.

The Turbo is really the sweet spot here – but when I go to spec it – I find I tick a lot of options that are standard on the Turbo S. Things like RAS, PTV+ and more.

The Turbo S works out for me around €15k more than the equivalent Turbo – but in my market here in Ireland – options lose their value pretty quickly. The higher base price of the Turbo S will be easier to defend on trade-in than an overly optioned 4S or Turbo.

I am well aware that the performance level between the Turbo and Turbo S is minuscule.

It is completely irrational – but the yellow carbon ceramics – as I walk to the car – just puts a smile on my face.

Last edited:

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Damien!
Love your analysis!
It looks to me that you fit perfectly with a GTS!!
Heated wheel and PTV as standard.
All black Spyder wheels. 😎
Most other extras you want you still have to pay for in Turbo S.
Do you really need the Vomit Comet!!?
Save yrself £35k
€40k+?

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
I had a 2021 4s for about a 6 months when I decided to make the switch. I bought it and a 992 911 Turbo S at the same time and figured the 4s would be enough for a DD when I had the 911 for my “sports car”. However I loved the taycan more than I was expecting but the 4s was a little muted for me. I’m a car junky and I had to upgrade to a turbo S. It was an amazing decision for me. So much so that once I got my order locked and knew it was months away I decided im going to sell my 911 turbo s and I ordered an f8 as the 911 no longer has that special feel for me. I’m hoping the f8 will but regardless the Taycan turbo S is first rate!

Arjan_

First Name
Arjan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag

Burmester

Night view assist

Acoustic glass

Porsche Innodrive

Seat ventilation

22kW on-board AC charger

OMG! Where do I start?

Adaptive Cruise Control

Comfort Access

HomeLink®

Ioniser

Ambient lighting

Passenger Display

New options in this car

Performance

"electric" side badge

Blackberry seat belts

Carbon Ceramic brakes

I would keep the night vision. It also works in the background so you don't need the screen itself

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
It's a reasonable question – and there is – as with many Porsche's – a bit of heart over head. I spend my working day making rational decisions – and for me a Porsche fits on the fun/road-trip/enthusiast side of the equation.

I had a Turbo S Panamera and I found the 4S did lack a little something in terms of performance – the kind of thing you only feel when being familiar with more power.

The Turbo is really the sweet spot here – but when I go to spec it – I find I tick a lot of options that are standard on the Turbo S. Things like RAS, PTV+ and more.

The Turbo S works out for me around €15k more than the equivalent Turbo – but in my market here in Ireland – options lose their value pretty quickly. The higher base price of the Turbo S will be easier to defend on trade-in than an overly optioned 4S or Turbo.

I am well aware that the performance level between the Turbo and Turbo S is minuscule.

It is completely irrational – but the yellow carbon ceramics – as I walk to the car – just puts a smile on my face.
Let’s face it, the whole car is irrational, not just the brakes. A bit like buying any Porsche. So if you can afford it, enjoy!

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
Given that the Turbo S primarily offers additional straight line performance….beyond what can be used on the steet, I was curious as to why someone with 4S experience would choose it. Recognizing that some of us could choose any of the vehicles in Porsche’s lineup, not everyone picks the most expensive one. I was just looking for an opportunity to gain some additional insight…if there was some depth to the decision… considering the experience with 4S. Totally cool if the answer is “just because”. Wishing you all the best for sure.
Sponsored