ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well I found this while checking Porsche site for Norway then changed it to the UK to get American figures (miles).

I find it very useful.
https://www.porsche.com/uk/models/taycan/taycan-models/taycan-4s/
Update - here is a link to the international page showing in of range but allowing display of range improvement with heat pump. Note that the UK where heat pump is in base configuration shows range as if heat pump is not used.
https://www.porsche.com/international/aboutporsche/e-performance/models/Either link scroll down to range calculation or indicator.

I'm sure European members already know about it, I had seen it mentioned but as it is not shown in porsche.com/usa I was not aware earlier.

Just select your vehicle type, battery size (if 4S), driving, outside temp, and Climate setting (I suggest ECO).
You can also look at impact of alternate wheel styles/sizes.

I am hoping that these numbers hold true then I will be ohh so happy.

Last edited:

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
Hello there,

thanks for the very useful pointer. Indeed, if the numbers are true, we're in good shape. I am still wondering about the effect of "range mode", where the car uses only its rear motor. How big will that effect be?
And I wonder if we will ever get a software update that will allow something like "yes I know I am using more capacity of the battery than regularly allowed but it is important".

Cheers,
Henrik

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
What does it mean "ECO PLUS" for section Air Conditioning ?

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
What does it mean "ECO PLUS" for section Air Conditioning ?
The Taycan has 3 settings for A/C. It's either OFF, in ECO PLUS, or ON. The Eco Plus mode uses significantly less electricity compared to having it fully on. I have not seen any reviews mentioning how good the Eco Plus A/C is. Hopefully we get some info on that from someone soon. It would require warm weather to be able to comment on that though.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Henrik,

I would guess these ranges are while using Range Mode, not Normal and certainly not Sport. I would personally be fine with that if they are indeed attainable at the various temperatures.

The other thing I saw on a video and on a graph is that the Taycan goes into limp mode at 0% implying there are some miles beyond that with restricted performance.
Also saw in a video that even in range mode if you punch the accelerator that it will kick up the power to accommodate (good for passing).

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
when it is 20 Celsius outside, having the A/C on makes a difference or 42 miles of range?

What exactly is the A/C doing given that it is not that warm outside?

Note also, that the difference between it being a comfortable 20 outside and a blazing 35 is only 4 miles of range. Not sure how accurate this will be. probably way better at 20 and far worse at 35.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
when it is 20 Celsius outside, having the A/C on makes a difference or 42 miles of range?

What exactly is the A/C doing given that it is not that warm outside?

Note also, that the difference between it being a comfortable 20 outside and a blazing 35 is only 4 miles of range. Not sure how accurate this will be. probably way better at 20 and far worse at 35.
I know that they call the option A/C but I assume that they mean HVAC so at 20C they would be talking about heating and my experience is that heating takes a lot more power than cooling in an EV.

Note: The Taycan can heat cabin utilizing residual heat from motors so that should be some savings, better than a Bolt EV for example.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
For heating it will also matter a lot if you have the heat pump or not. It's a super must have accessory if you're living in an area with cold weather.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
HVAC so at 20C they would be talking about heating and my experience is that heating takes a lot more power than cooling in an EV.

Note: The Taycan can heat cabin utilizing residual heat from motors so that should be some savings, better than a Bolt EV for example.
20: some heating - range 220
25: no heating, maybe some AC: range 220
35: no heating, lots of AC. range 224

That is just odd.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
For heating it will also matter a lot if you have the heat pump or not. It's a super must have accessory if you're living in an area with cold weather.
Is that an option in Europe? I don't believe it is an option in the US, so is it standard, or is it not available?

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Is that an option in Europe? I don't believe it is an option in the US, so is it standard, or is it not available?
I had read that it was a free option in cold countries. I see that in Iceland you can select Heat Pump under E-Mobility at no charge for example. I believe also in Canada and Netherlands.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting. Here in Finland the heat pump was an 800 € accessory. And this is a country where almost every buyer will likely choose it. Well I guess it's an easy way for them to make some extra money :D

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am still not clear on the heatpump for the US. Is it standard, or not available (since it isn't an option). we do have places that are cold, but not as bad as Norway ;)

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am still not clear on the heatpump for the US. Is it standard, or not available (since it isn't an option). we do have places that are cold, but not as bad as Norway ;)
I read that it was not an option for the USA. I agree we have some cold states like Michigan and Maine, I think folks there can maybe work through their dealership if they feel motivated to get it. But I would say the Porsche answer will be 2Q or 3Q for that to be offered for US customers.

Probably Porsche is strained enough with all the country localization issues with the launch.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
Hello there,

thanks for the very useful pointer. Indeed, if the numbers are true, we're in good shape. I am still wondering about the effect of "range mode", where the car uses only its rear motor. How big will that effect be?
And I wonder if we will ever get a software update that will allow something like "yes I know I am using more capacity of the battery than regularly allowed but it is important".

Cheers,
Henrik
I, for one, am hoping that Porsche will allow us to choose when/if to do software updates. I keep hearing these horror stories about automatic over-the-air software updates by Tesla that causes problems for their owners. I would like the option to have external access to my car's computer turned off unless I say it's ok -- after I've had a chance to review what software updates they are proposing and why.
Sponsored