OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
I think the charging speed improvement is the best feature of the v.2 Taycan, but it won't matter when all the 350KW dispensers are occupied by vehicles that can't utilize that level of current output.

I noticed the EA site at the WAWA in New Castle, DE has recently been upgraded to 5 dispensers, each capable of outputting "up to" 350KW, with total load balanced across the site, which is a significant improvement over the previous "ultra fast" and "hyper fast" 150KW & 350KW dispensers. Hopefully EA continues this across their network.

Yeah, there are lots of people who are clueless when it comes to charging. Unfortunately, many of them drive a car with a max charge speed of 50kW. This is why I tend to road trip on weekdays, so it improves my odds of not going all crazy and yelling at someone charging a Chevy Bolt at a 350kW dispenser or someone tying up a charger since they are trying to charge to 100%.

This is why Taycan V2 is looking more and more attractive. Faster charging speeds equals less time at chargers , so less clueless people to contend with.
Sponsored

PedroJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Taycan CT 4S ordered
Country flag
I see disappointment in your comments and I was so at first watching Kyle. But then I check old 70mph range tests and here are my comparison and findings:
- 1st gen Sedan RWD, 19”: 293 miles
- 1st gen CT4, 19”: 251 miles
- 2nd gen ST4S, 21”*: 311 miles
So the ST on narrower (245/285) 21” did +24% than CT on even narrower (225/275) 19”. Battery is +12% bigger, so efficiency of the car is +12% better. It’s much better than gen1.

Some of you quoted his best trip, with similar to Kyle or better results. Kyle did kis test in both direction, so impact of elevation and wind was eliminated. I have never had the result of 19-20kWh/100km on a highway, my lowest trip consumption was 21kWh/100km with average of 100km/h. Typically I have more aylt my CT 4S.

Of course it’s not EQS. But before complaint - let’s wait for range results of sedan body.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
My main complaint is the lack of cover from sun and rain at almost all of these sites. Who decided that was a good idea? Have none of these people ever seen a gas station? I’m fine with Walmart, I just want a damn roof.
Here in Europe we would all also like to have covered chargers. That however is much more troublesome due to local building regulations. The extra paperwork and issues that create has been horrific. So thankfully a lot of stations have been built and perhaps later we will get the cover. But no guarantee

d00d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yes
Country flag
Even if I liked the styling, J1 II faster DC charging is no benefit in the US where EA downrates chargers, which is all of the ones I've used in the NE.
I'm hoping IONNA will do full power.
My commute fits nicely within my standard battery's range, except in very cold weather.
For those few times I can stop at one of the two Tesla Magic Dock stations for 10 minutes of 50kW, or risk waiting for an opening at one of the two faster EAs.

gtm

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'73 Lotus, '23 GTS
Country flag
We are also seniors and travel quite long distances several times per year. Not all in one go but enjoying some stop overs. Long trips normally consist on a daily drive of 900 - 1000 km if In a hurry (nearly always my case?). We have just finished one leg of 4800 km and plan the return trip now.

For me the desire is to have longer range, because in practical terms you only use ca 70% of the battery for fast progress.

A normal drive and charge stop is from about 80 % down to 10 %, in order to have the quick charging times. So 70% of the battery capacity, except perhaps where you stay overnight and can charge to 100%. Under 10% will be upsetting my co pilot too much after a very early mishap with the Taycan’s range.

At present in my car that is about 70%*350 km = 245 km

In the new Taycan it would be about 350 km.
That would equal about 2.5 hours on French motorways and less than 2 hours on Autobahn at night time.

On this trip with an ICE we did at least 400 km between stops, but the roads were unusually clear as well. So travel time was much less in the ICE Car.
Pretty much spot on. Also seniors, also road trip often. For commuting and local driving the current range is fine. On a road trip not so much. At highway speeds of 75 mph (+/- with traffic) my 100% range is very slightly under the EPA range of 246 miles (battery SoH is 92.2% at last check). Completely agree on only 70% being usable on a trip so I have about 170 miles/275 km usable. Given the infrastructure in the USA I often have to stop early given the frequent gaps between charging locations. Bump my usable range by 25% on J1.2 and it's a big difference. Faster charging speeds? With EA that's a joke most of the time.

If the EPA figures are 300+ miles that would probably be enough of an increase in range to get me to go for the revised car. If you don't road trip and want faster a used Turbo makes much more sense.

Gru

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo - 20"
Country flag
It's all a matter of infrastructure (and some times planning, I admit). Never had a problem, only once I waited 20mn in more than 40000 km on highways in Europe.

Would I change the car to save 5mn when I charge ? or 1 stop less on a 1000km trip ? no....
Would I go to 19" to increase range ? no ...

It's a Porsche. it means (for me) Performance and look.
If i wanted a cheaper car, more efficient, more range, I would have go for another brand ....🙄

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab, i4
Country flag
It's all a matter of infrastructure (and some times planning, I admit). Never had a problem, only once I waited 20mn in more than 40000 km on highways in Europe.

Would I change the car to save 5mn when I charge ? or 1 stop less on a 1000km trip ? no....
Would I go to 19" to increase range ? no ...

It's a Porsche. it means (for me) Performance and look.
If i wanted a cheaper car, more efficient, more range, I would have go for another brand ....🙄
I agree with you. The new model Taycan is probably one of the fastest road trip car available just now. Incredible charging speed, if the infrastructure supports it. It’s not the most efficient car but ok.

But maybe wait to see how the second hand market develops. It is a very expensive upgrade for the extras.

Chris8536

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S (Sold) X7 M50i (sold) cayenne GTS coupe
Country flag
There are videos of the original J1 Tacan 4S also doing 300 miles under ideal conditions -- from the smoking tire and several others.

I dunno seems like really no difference to me.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
In the US, your "nice breaks" will be at a Wal-Mart parking lot while charging. :crying:
I recognize that this makes me a snob but the Walmart charging experience is a MAJOR turnoff. I am at the place in life that I require a premium experience in nearly all facets of my life. I’d like to say that I feel bad about that but I don’t.

If I have to choose between Walmart and Elon, I will simply charge in my garage and travel in a radius that supports the gen 1 range with my Taycan.

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
I think 3.2 mi/kW is good efficiency improvement on motorways cruising at c. 70mph average, I've never seen anything start with a 3 unless driving 40-50mph on a warm day, more typically 2.3 to 2.7 mi/kW. Then there is the 14% bigger battery.

I drive about 20k miles per year, 30% less time plugging in to charge in the rain (I live in Scotland where it rains a lot) is welcome. I suspect the sedan on smaller wheels may be significant better, the ST shape, PAR, variable light roof, 21" wheels all reduce range.

2P168S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
The result makes sense for a touring with 21 inch wheels. I have no doubt a RWD sedan on 19s will crush 350+ miles.

OP
OP
thecoloradokid

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
The result makes sense for a touring with 21 inch wheels. I have no doubt a RWD sedan on 19s will crush 350+ miles.

In warm temps for sure.

But, who wants to put 19's on a Taycan????? I live at altitude with some occasional rough weather. We can't do a RWD drive in Colorado and use the vehicle year round.

I think +300 on an all wheel drive Taycan with 21's is phenomenal. That would probably mean you could do 250 miles at 80mph.

Now, if I can just get past the weak looking hood and the unappealing headlight design.