Tino82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
What is point in any of this if the apple map interface 1) won't pre heat the battery for DC charging and 2) doesn't appear on the driver display or HUD? Are apple and porsche just allaying together in expectation of the total ios car integration in a few years?
Sponsored

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
What is point in any of this if the apple map interface 1) won't pre heat the battery for DC charging and 2) doesn't appear on the driver display or HUD? Are apple and porsche just allaying together in expectation of the total ios car integration in a few years?
Plenty of people were already using CarPlay + Apple Maps without EV route planning, without preconditioning and on a single screen. There are folks who are making car purchasing decisions based on whether CarPlay is supported or not. While you might disagree, from a market perspective I wouldn't say it's pointless.

MWarsaw

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Finally, you are able to plan a trip via Apple Maps in Carplay and navigate to EV chargers when a charge is required. You don't need to exit Carplay to find charging opportunities with the PCM navigation. The only thing you need to do is update your Porsche iOS app.

https://9to5mac.com/2023/05/17/apple-maps-porsche-ev-routing/
Will it start preheating the battery like the PCM navigation does when it knows it’s going to a charger? This is critical for charging times.

dugbug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
bmw 228i, X3
Country flag
apple Maps integrates everywhere on bmws. HUD, driver displays, the media display, widgets, etc

this is aaaaaaallll Porsche

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I realized one annoying thing with the new EV routing feature today. Since it now shows the estimated SoC at destination, it no longer shows the remaining time and distance to your destination, which for me was invaluable. In particular, I always reference the remaining time in my drive.

It does still have the ETA, but that means I have to look at that time, look at the current time, and do the math to figure out how many minutes are left in my drive.

Tiekhan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Cayenne Diesel
Country flag
I don’t think that Apple Maps is getting real-time SoC data from the Taycan. Yesterday, I did a short 20+ mile trip where the actual arrival SoC was 2% higher than the actual SoC displayed by the car. Maybe there’s a bug in the iOS/car comms. So for now, don’t rely on Apple Maps when pushing your car for range!

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I don’t think that Apple Maps is getting real-time SoC data from the Taycan. Yesterday, I did a short 20+ mile trip where the actual arrival SoC was 2% higher than the actual SoC displayed by the car. Maybe there’s a bug in the iOS/car comms. So for now, don’t rely on Apple Maps when pushing your car for range!
I’ve noticed the same - meaning the car’s SoC was 2 units lower than Apple Maps predicted (so not 2% lower 😊). Not only that, but midway through the trip I switched to the built-in nav, which estimated the correct arrival SoC.
It’s a cute improvement in Apple Maps but I won’t be using it for long distance trips.

electricsidecar

Threads
Reaction score
Website
electricsidecar.app
Vehicles
Volcano Gray Taycan 2022
Country flag
Been using it the last few days and by far the most annoying feature that's missing for me is the ability to set a desired charge at the destination. I'm not a fan of arriving home at <30% charge so I've had to manually add charging stops along the way.

hifi239

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Confirmed today that Apple guidance to an EA DC charger does not pre-heat the battery for fast charging. It absolutely does get and update the SOC from the car.

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Can confirm it does not.
that's a big miss from Porsche. it really feels like infotainment QC at Porsche is a joke. This Cariad belly-flop has been nothing short of a carnage; delayed EV Macans, very grumpy Porsche clients, radio that forgets favourites, etc. etc. At this point they should just kill it with fire as start from scratch

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Confirmed today that Apple guidance to an EA DC charger does not pre-heat the battery for fast charging. It absolutely does get and update the SOC from the car.
two things:
  1. bummer - it should pre-heat the battery
  2. pre-heating should be accessible by driver/occupant independent of NAV destination.
software is always a work in progress…

the good news here is this _CAN_ be fixed in software - the question is will it be fixed?

Last edited:

dtich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS;'12 Model S(sold); Aprilia; Triumph
Country flag
that's a big miss from Porsche. it really feels like infotainment QC at Porsche is a joke. This Cariad belly-flop has been nothing short of a carnage; delayed EV Macans, very grumpy Porsche clients, radio that forgets favourites, etc. etc. At this point they should just kill it with fire as start from scratch
Sponsored