Complete brake failure !!

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@Clive I believe you posted there was no mechanical braking front and rear on your car.
Was that confirmed by your dealer?
I ask because Porsche brake line recall statement indicates that failure affects front brakes only and rear brakes would still work when front brake line failed.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Clive

First Name
Clive
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan turbo
Country flag
@Clive I believe you posted there was no mechanical braking front and rear on your car.
Was that confirmed by your dealer?
I ask because Porsche brake line recall statement indicates that failure affects front brakes only and rear brakes would still work when front brake line failed.

not in any “official” way but anyone who got in the car before repair could see it had pedal to floor “no brakes”. it couldn’t be driven on / off recover truck and was winched

Last edited:

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
@Clive :
Would you mind sharing which dealership you are dealing with?

Not naming & shaming, but just a reference as to which dealership is already aware of your issue?

I have been informed by Porsche Reading that “only 365 cars” in the UK are affected… It doesn’t sem right as worldwide, it seems Porsche is likely going to look at all cars manufactured prior to May 2024.
The US recall notice states that of the 31,000 recalled cars they expect to see the issue in roughly 5% of them or roughly 1500 cars in total. If the 365 represents the 5% of cars showing the actual issue, that's about 7500 Taycans total in the UK.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
One report outside the U.S. did include an accident, though there were no injuries, and featured a vehicle traveling significantly over the speed limit at approximately 120 km/hour.
Why would the speed limit matter, other than Porsche attempting to shed liability? Someone could have been on a track doing 200km/h, would Porsche the say “we don’t cover track use”? This obviously was a brake failure at a speed significantly under the maximum the Taycan is speced at. Heck, even with winter tires max speed is way higher than 120km/h.

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Why would the speed limit matter, other than Porsche attempting to shed liability? Someone could have been on a track doing 200km/h, would Porsche the say “we don’t cover track use”? This obviously was a brake failure at a speed significantly under the maximum the Taycan is speced at. Heck, even with winter tires max speed is way higher than 120km/h.
Read the linked article. That’s where my quote is from.

OP
OP

Clive

First Name
Clive
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan turbo
Country flag
there was no speeding in my wife’s case

speeding does not cause brake hoses to split so other than distraction i see no relevance in the comment

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
And Porsche is produced in the only country in the world without speed limits. So shouldn’t matter anyway. Or they should put a speed limiter like Volvo. But somehow I don’t think they will do that.

we do have a very nice speeding notification sound in Europe for new cars since this year. Every time you cross the speed limit it gives a ping or pong. You can switch it off.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
we do have a very nice speeding notification sound in Europe for new cars since this year. Every time you cross the speed limit it gives a ping or pong.
Does the notification inform you that "you've just voided your warranty"?

Vrm001

First Name
Vipan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar F type
Country flag
my22 taycan turbo - 66k miles

My wife was driving back from school yesterday with our 2 children and experienced complete brake failure - pedal to the floor / zero ability to stop !

lucky no accident (miraculously!)

Car recovered to Sutton OPC where i was initially told would be end of June before they could even look at the issue ! They really don’t seem to be taking this very seriously at all

Escalated to Porsche GB today as i’m seriously concerned this could kill someone

anyone experienced this or heard of anyone having similar issues ? I find it hard to believe it’s even possible for a complete failure like this to occur

car opc serviced and owned from new

do you think i should make VOSO aware of this ? if it’s anything fundamental re design of components that could happen again to another owner then surely all Taycans should be taken off road until a solution is found
Hi Clive,
firstly I am sorry to hear what happened to you. It must have been extremely distressing to have gone through that episode.

I have had similar issues with my Taycan GTS ST. I have had continuous problems with my brakes (as well as other reliability issues!) since I bought the car, new in Nov 2022. To cut a very long story short, due to the inability of Porsche to fix the issues and the poor service I have received from Porsche, I reported them to the Financial Ombudsman. Happy to discuss this in more detail ., if you are interested.