Rear Wheel Steering

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
I know of two GT3’s that have left the road and had big accidents, both owners said rws was at fault.
I guess they would say that!
RWS has been on GT3s since 2013 (and a range of other 911s etc), so I find it hard to believe that a fundamental issue exists with the system even in extreme scenarios!
Sponsored

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
I guess they would say that!
RWS has been on GT3s since 2013 (and a range of other 911s etc), so I find it hard to believe that a fundamental issue exists with the system even in extreme scenarios!
I was thinking just the same 😁

How often do we hear people stack it and note the problem was "lack of talent" :CWL:

OP
OP

Browning

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RangeRover D350 MHEV New Disco 300D MHEW Taycan4S
Country flag
Yes but the powered covers are so cool! 😂. My excuse is that

1. they look better (side profile);
2. vandal’s cannot rip them off in a public charging situation (though there are admittedly worse things that could be done);
3. the powered covers mean no road rash down the front doors (which some have experienced) even if the minor aero benefit is lost…I know some have put DIY meshes in to prevent that but I assume that also negates/reduces any minor aero benefit (due to flow disruption).
Totally agree with your comments its a must have for me

satchurator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 CT4
Country flag
I optioned RAS on my CT4 and am really glad I did. This is a large and heavy car and IMO the RAS makes it feel more nimble.

More than any other option, this one makes itself known in every drive. I appreciate the extra turning radius - makes parking and tight maneuvering, U-turns much easier. The orientation of my driveway, street access and garage are such that I benefit from RAS every day.

In low speed turns, I can feel the rotation as the rear tracks the turning arc - it’s a pleasant sensation, like being on a skateboard. Feels like it’s on rails.

At highway speeds, it’s not noticeable for me. I suppose a quick turn at high speed might have less roll. I haven’t spent much time at highway speeds in a non-RAS Taycan to be able to compare.

For the low speed / around town driving, maneuverability, I think it’s worth it.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I have in on my 4S and it makes maneuvering in tight spaces much much easier. I'm glad I optioned RWS.

Reactions: B61

Chris H

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bentley GT3R, BMWi3s, LR Discovery, Pershing 52
Country flag
I was thinking just the same 😁

How often do we hear people stack it and note the problem was "lack of talent" :CWL:
Both excellent drivers, one of them raced against Senna in F3 and regularly wins in historic F2/3 today, I’ve seen your driving…………………

LeftCoastElectric

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I don't have RAS, thought about it, but wound up not getting it for a few reasons.

First, since my other vehicle. which was my daily driver, was a Chevy Silverado with full cab and full bed, I thought I'd find the Taycan much more maneuverable.

The other factor was the turning radius was about the same as the Tesla Model 3 my wife has, and I found that to be very nimble in tight situations.

And, lastly, since I will take my car to the track maybe once a year, I didn't think I needed it from a high speed performance point of view.

HK111

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes V
Country flag
When I upgraded my blue 4S to my white GTS, the single most impressive and satisfying improvement was the rear axle steering that I added. It is so cool.

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Both excellent drivers, one of them raced against Senna in F3 and regularly wins in historic F2/3 today, I’ve seen your driving…………………
You haven't seen me bin it due to RAS :) (Though I am curious :) Are you missing a bunch of cars from your profile?)

Margrock

First Name
Margaret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Cross Turismo
Country flag
If anybody is unsure regarding rear wheel steering 3 months into new car and for me its a great option and for sure would recommend ticking box you won't regret it
I also love the rear wheel steering. My turning radius is so reduced!

Reactions: B61

Lars

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 C4S Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
I also love the rear wheel steering. My turning radius is so reduced!
Me too. Switched out some cosmetic options to include this and very pleased I did. U turns & mimi roundabouts on U.K. roads means it’s better at turning sharply than my 911

Chris H

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You haven't seen me bin it due to RAS :) (Though I am curious :) Are you missing a bunch of cars from your profile?)
Past cars, yes

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Past cars, yes
Getting old, and into boats? A whole different world of expense from what I've been told. 😁

Have you got a Taycan on order?

Chris H

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Getting old, and into boats? A whole different world of expense from what I've been told. 😁

Have you got a Taycan on order?
Agree with the expense, it’s on another level to cars, think I had a Gallardo last time we met.

just locked the spec, delivery July.
Sponsored