Why do so many people want a Taycan to be more like Tesla?

I888I

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911-996 - Taycan GTS (9/23) - Cessna C340A
Country flag
Both here, on YouTube and in car magazines, I read a lot of comments (even journalists that claim to be professional) that a Porsche Taycan is a good car, but that it would be better if it were more line a tesla… The main suggestions of these posters/journalists are:

1. Taycan lacks 1-pedal driving ——>[true, but I don’t have any use for that]
2. The Infotainment on Tesla is more developed, with a big central screen ——>[true but an iPad instead of an instrument cluster isn’t better]
3. The Plaid has more power and faster in a straight line ——> [true, but how often do you use that party-trick]
4. The Tesla Superchargers are better than Electrify America ——>[maybe, but that is totally irrelevant in Europe]
5. The Tesla Autopilot is better than Innodrive ——>[maybe, but Innodrive works well in badly managed traffic in our countries]

For those who want a Porsche to be like a Tesla, isn’t it more efficient to to just buy a Tesla?
For those who want a Porsche to be like a Kia, isn’t it better to buy a Kia?

For us, who want to enjoy a Taycan AS A Porsche, we just DON’T WANT IT TO Be like a Tesla or a Kia, we just enjoy it as it is…!

Porsche Taycan Why do so many people want a Taycan to be more like Tesla? IMG_6321
Sponsored

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Another T junk thread, really?

What I see in Europe and particularly in China: Nobody gives a rats ass about the T junk anymore. Way too expensive for a naked interior with terrible usability and horrendous quality and reliability.

Porsche Taycan Why do so many people want a Taycan to be more like Tesla? 20230804094859

Saturady night on our last longer trip with our MS90D junk which failed to charge on a T junk super charger. Sold it a couple of weeks ago. Finally no more T junk again.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
The only thing I would like is the Tesla way of route planning and charging on the road. Just did a longer trip. Everything was fine because of my planning but could have been worse.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I soon realised when I came on here that people fell into 2 distinct camps.

Those that came to a Taycan from previous Tesla ownership and everybody else.

I came from a BMW M2 and couldn't understand people wanting things like one pedal driving so badly. I hardly knew what it was.

I then realised these were ex Tesla drivers who were on a different experience/learning trajectory (for better or worse) than the rest of us, coming from Ice cars.

WattTurbo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Both here, on YouTube and in car magazines, I read a lot of comments (even journalists that claim to be professional) that a Porsche Taycan is a good car, but that it would be better if it were more line a tesla… The main suggestions of these posters/journalists are:

2. The Infotainment on Tesla is more developed, with a big central screen ——>[true but an iPad instead of an instrument cluster isn’t better]
3. The Plaid has more power and faster in a straight line ——> [true, but how often do you use that party-trick]
4. The Tesla Superchargers are better than Electrify America ——>[maybe, but that is totally irrelevant in Europe]
5. The Tesla Autopilot is better than Innodrive ——>[maybe, but Innodrive works well in badly managed traffic in our countries]

For those who want a Porsche to be like a Tesla, isn’t it more efficient to to just buy a Tesla?

For us, who want to enjoy a Taycan AS A Porsche, we just DON’T WANT IT TO Be like a Tesla or a Kia, we just enjoy it as it is…!
In the US, the only thing I'd like from Tesla is #4. Once we have that or an infrastructure like that from EA er any other entity, then the Taycan would be a perfect car. I can't wait for the day when I can leave on a trip and not have to plan out my route first. When I am low on charge, I can either see a sign on the side of the side of the road that says EV charge station in x miles ahead or a huge bill board like Bucee's, and then make the exit on the freeway. Hope, that day will come in the next couple of years.

jvdsanden

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BMK-inkoop.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Taycan CT4S and Tesla M3 oreon
Country flag

Beste Bart, Ik merk dat jij nog nooit een Tesla gereden heb, anders had je dit vergelijk nooit opgezet, want dan was je erachter gekomen wat deze kleine issue's het grote verschil maken tussen een Tesla en een Porsche.

Alemany

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 600LT, Nissan GTR, Tesla P100D, MiniCooper Cooper limited edition, Taycan Turbo S (ordered), Giulia Quadrafoglio
Country flag

IMG_6321.jpeg
Is a matter of taste. You don't like Tesla or Kia, don't buy the.m... but other people seem to do, and that is ok.

My experience is this, I had two Teslas in the past. Loved part of the experience but I would not get a Tesla even if free. I love my Taycan.

But... I SORELY miss the superchargers (ours suck), the autopilot (our Innodrive is a joke) and the software overall (my car spent more time at the shop than at home due to software issues during the first 18 months until the massive software update - was a bad bad bad experience).

So there *ARE* several areas where Tesla is better and trying to pretend thats not true is wasted time because it is a fact. Now Taycan is a much better car as a car, Tesla quality sucks and their service (the reason why I would never own a Tesla again) sucks, but that does not negate the few areas where the Tesla is ahead.

IMHO of course. :):)

OP
OP
I888I

I888I

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911-996 - Taycan GTS (9/23) - Cessna C340A
Country flag
Beste Bart, Ik merk dat jij nog nooit een Tesla gereden heb, anders had je dit vergelijk nooit opgezet, want dan was je erachter gekomen wat deze kleine issue's het grote verschil maken tussen een Tesla en een Porsche.
—-apologies for thé replay in Dutch to a message i received in Dutch —-

Jos,

Bedankt voor jou berichtje.

Toch wel, vooraleer ik de knoop doorhakte om een Taycan GTS te bestellen heb ik met een Tesla S en een Tesla 3 gereden, alsook met een Audi e-tron GT, kwestie van de alternatieven te overwegen..

Mijn bericht was geen statement dat een Taycan beter is dan een Tesla, maar eerder dat ik niet snap waarom veel mensen blijkbaar van een Porsche verwachten dat specifieke Tesla eigenschappen zouden gekopieerd worden. Er zijn te veel berichten en opmerkingen links en rechts dat een Taycan beter zou zijn indien die meer een Tesla was…

Wat mij betreft koop ik een Porsche Taycan GTS omdat dat de wagen is waar ik mee wil rijden voor de volgende jaren. Ik zou ook een Aston Martin of een Tesla kunnen kopen - of een nieuwe 911, maar dat is simpelweg niet wat mijn voorkeur wegdraagt.

Een punt is blijkbaar wel belangrijk: in USA zijn er veel Porsche rijders die problemen hebben met Electrify America, daar waar de Tesla Superchargers blijkbaar wek goed werken. Maar hier in Belgie/Europe heeft dat geen relevantie, Ionity+Fastned+Allegro werken uitstekend.

Voor mijn use-case (trips naar klanten in Belgie en het dichte buitenland) is een autonomie van 350km ruim voldoende, en bij een iets langere werkdag is 10 min aan een laadpaal genoeg voor een extra 150km…. Voor iets verdere «road trips» gebruik ik dan wel een niet electrisch alternatief (zie foto).

Ik kan alleen besluiten «Les goûts el les couleurs ne se discutes pas», en dat ik « echt » niet begrijp waarom een Taycan beter zou zijn als het meer zoals een Tesla zou rijden.

Bedankt voor de reactie, ik hoop dat jouw 4S CT aan jouw verwachtingen beantwoordt? Ik ben in ieder geval laaiend enthousiast voor de geplande aankomst van mijn nieuwe baby in september…

Porsche Taycan Why do so many people want a Taycan to be more like Tesla? IMG_0921

jvdsanden

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BMK-inkoop.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Taycan CT4S and Tesla M3 oreon
Country flag
—-apologies for thé replay in Dutch to a message i received in Dutch —-

Jos,

Bedankt voor jou berichtje.

Toch wel, vooraleer ik de knoop doorhakte om een Taycan GTS te bestellen heb ik met een Tesla S en een Tesla 3 gereden, alsook met een Audi e-tron GT, kwestie van de alternatieven te overwegen..

Mijn bericht was geen statement dat een Taycan beter is dan een Tesla, maar eerder dat ik niet snap waarom veel mensen blijkbaar van een Porsche verwachten dat specifieke Tesla eigenschappen zouden gekopieerd worden. Er zijn te veel berichten en opmerkingen links en rechts dat een Taycan beter zou zijn indien die meer een Tesla was…

Wat mij betreft koop ik een Porsche Taycan GTS omdat dat de wagen is waar ik mee wil rijden voor de volgende jaren. Ik zou ook een Aston Martin of een Tesla kunnen kopen - of een nieuwe 911, maar dat is simpelweg niet wat mijn voorkeur wegdraagt.

Een punt is blijkbaar wel belangrijk: in USA zijn er veel Porsche rijders die problemen hebben met Electrify America, daar waar de Tesla Superchargers blijkbaar wek goed werken. Maar hier in Belgie/Europe heeft dat geen relevantie, Ionity+Fastned+Allegro werken uitstekend.

Voor mijn use-case (trips naar klanten in Belgie en het dichte buitenland) is een autonomie van 350km ruim voldoende, en bij een iets langere werkdag is 10 min aan een laadpaal genoeg voor een extra 150km…. Voor iets verdere «road trips» gebruik ik dan wel een niet electrisch alternatief (zie foto).

Ik kan alleen besluiten «Les goûts el les couleurs ne se discutes pas», en dat ik « echt » niet begrijp waarom een Taycan beter zou zijn als het meer zoals een Tesla zou rijden.

Bedankt voor de reactie, ik hoop dat jouw 4S CT aan jouw verwachtingen beantwoordt? Ik ben in ieder geval laaiend enthousiast voor de geplande aankomst van mijn nieuwe baby in september…

IMG_0921.jpeg
Dank je voor je verdere onderbouwing. Om je laatste vraag te beantwoorden. Heel eerlijk gezegt valt mij het rijgenot en hulpsystemen in Taycan t.o.v. van de door mij eerder gereden Tesla model S jammer genoeg erg tegen. Ook wil ik je het advies geven om het leerpakket te nemen, want de kwaliteit van het standaard leer is erg slecht. En wil ik je veel succes wensen met je GTS.
Alleen de looks van en dat het een Porsche is blijft opzienbarend.

alexz

First Name
Alexandre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS / Tesla P100D
Country flag
Another T junk thread, really?

What I see in Europe and particularly in China: Nobody gives a rats ass about the T junk anymore. Way too expensive for a naked interior with terrible usability and horrendous quality and reliability.

20230804094859.jpg

Saturady night on our last longer trip with our MS90D junk which failed to charge on a T junk super charger. Sold it a couple of weeks ago. Finally no more T junk again.
135,000 miles in my Tesla P100D without problems, and it still drives perfectly.
I hope my GTS will be as reliable !

Valen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Eva Ribelle RS
Country flag
I love my Taycan 4S, i had other Porsche before (boxster, cayennes, 911..) and my first EV was a Tesla M3P ( i don't like S they drive like a boat)

There's no denying that my Taycan is a better car than my M3P which is normal as the M3P was cheaper than all the options i have in my Taycan :CWL::crying:

However there's some quality of life improvement on the tesla that i would welcome on my Taycan if available:
  1. i've confort access on my Taycan but would trade it anyday for the real Keyless that the Tesla had;
  2. the infotainment: it's better on the Tesla mostly because of the user interface. In the Taycan everything is a bit "messy". The sat nav isn't great, switch to carplay or AA and you loose the HUD or preconditionning. It's not that it is bad, it is just that it feels old.
  3. the rear camera on the Taycan would be a shame even on a entry level KIA
  4. innodrive isn't that bad but it's nowhere near autopilot (specially in congested traffic at high speed)
Also, saying it's a Porsche so it's normal that you don't have "XXX" (insert the missing features) isn't really an argument. Porsche makes sport luxury cars and the above features could be implemented without the car being a KIA or Tesla or whatever.

For me, there's no match the Taycan is a better car but i'm not sure it would be that good if Tesla isn't putting pressure on other brands for years so thanks Tesla for pushing Porsche to make the Taycan that good

j.w.s

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS, 2024 Rivian R1S
Country flag

IMG_6321.jpeg
I do wish that Porsche hired better software engineers and that Electrify America was as reliable as the Tesla charging network. I also wish Tesla was a lot more like Porsche, with dramatically better handling, much better fit and finish, and much more premium interiors in their premium models.

Last edited:

Slappy_G

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo sedan, Audi S6
Country flag

So some thoughts from someone who is not a Porsche purist or loyalist. Numbered according to your points:
  1. 1-pedal driving: there is no excuse why this isn't an option. It's pure software, and could be defaulted to "off" and turned on if desired by users. This is Porsche demonstrating their utter weakness at modern car software design.
  2. Infotainment quality is important, and especially so when you are waiting at a charger. Android Auto is nice in the Porsche and Tesla actually loses out in that regard. But the PCM capabilities are, in a word, crap. And in 2 words, f'ing crap. Chargers are missing and have wrong info, and when on a highway, there is no info about services at upcoming exits (fuel, food, charging), unlike my wife's Audi e-Tron which has a rather nice infotainment/nav setup. Frankly, the touch-based lower screen really irks me. Proper hard buttons would have been a superior choice for many things. Ironically, the e-Tron interior has a lot of screens, but a much superior control layout.
  3. I really don't give a rats ass about 0-60 times, but I am admittedly spoiled having a Taycan Turbo. That said, I have ended up referencing its 0-60 time when talking about my car to other car enthusiasts, so maybe I am guilty here.
  4. It may be irrelevant in Europe, but this is the single biggest problem in the US. Any non-Tesla charging network is utter garbage. Unreliable, poorly maintained garbage.
  5. I actually like InnoDrive, but have never driven a Tesla with Autopilot, so I am not qualified to speak too much here. InnoDrive could certainly be improved with respect to lane centering though.

Eric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW XI/Taycan 21 4S
Country flag

IMG_6321.jpeg
Absolutely agree.I drove a tesla S recently and the car is not even close to my Taycan 4S in all respects and i mean in all respects ie interior,fun to drive,quality and most of all service.I hear loads of bad stories about how bad it is to service a Tesla

LongLive959

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S
Country flag
I need new tires for my model S

they quoted me Michelins, but I always use Contis. I just called right now to ask about stock. I was told to use the app. I said yeah, but I just need to know if they’re in stock before I make an appointment and get quoted for the Michel—“use the app and make an appointment”

so yeah. If it wasn’t so inconvenient, I’d just pour gas over my S and light a match. Tesla service has gone from decent to horrible thanks to the app

I know, unrelated. Sorry. But had to vent
Sponsored