Will older models get the new push to pass upgrade?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I think it will probably be rolled out along side the electric steering column retrofit. 🙃
Sponsored

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Which is a funny engineering decision to me, since this type of launch puts so much added stress on a car, yet Porsche tells you this is the only way to extract the full power of their EV.
The relevant part is that it can only be activated for drag racing, so not often for most people. I guess they could have only made it available twice a day, at 9:11am and maybe 9:11pm (though that could be excluded as 21:11), and maybe only on September 11th with a battery state of charge 91.1%.

My wife's Q8 eTron has overboost available for limited time any time her accelerator hits the floor (actually a little before) - I guess Audi engineers designed it to be repeatable without blowing out the car battery or motors. Same goes for all Tesla cars, and other EV's.

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, R8 V10+, Q5 Edition 1
Country flag
Why would a car manufacturer, that makes money from selling cars built in it's factories, after investing money to bring out a new version of their product so that new and existing customers will buy it, allow existing owners to add these features to products that have already been sold?

It's not like we're talking about putting CarPlay stereos in classic Porsches. There will be no official routes to add ANY of the facelift features to existing cars.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Why would a car manufacturer, that makes money from selling cars built in it's factories, after investing money to bring out a new version of their product so that new and existing customers will buy it, allow existing owners to add these features to products that have already been sold?
One word -"profit". FOD.

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One word -"profit". FOD.
Activating features on demand that are pre-mapped to an an existing platform is very different from physical hardware retrofits that rely upon various dependencies to work properly.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Activating features on demand that are pre-mapped to an an existing platform is very different from physical hardware retrofits that rely upon various dependencies to work properly.
Imagine an FOD feature for Gen1 to unleash LC power for 10-20 seconds mapped to the diamond button on the steering wheel, or simply extend the current accelerator range (same as the hack you can buy from tuners today). I bet it would sell quite a bit at $2K, maybe higher.

Moonstone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Imagine an FOD feature for Gen1 to unleash LC power for 10-20 seconds mapped to the diamond button on the steering wheel, or simply extend the current accelerator range (same as the hack you can buy from tuners today). I bet it would sell quite a bit at $2K, maybe higher.
Never gonna happen for a multitude of reasons.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Given it's already available aftermarket, those reasons are fairly limited. Either:
  1. Porsche is worried that would cost more (statistically) in increased warranty claims, i.e. LC is pure hype, not meant to be used often
  2. Porsche FOD capabilities are severely lacking
  3. Porsche does not believe enough people would buy it (which can always be adjusted with pricing, perhaps even gradual pricing, fist offer it at $3K, then $2K a year later, etc).
Otherwise they are just leaving money on the table.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Which is a funny engineering decision to me, since this type of launch puts so much added stress on a car, yet Porsche tells you this is the only way to extract the full power of their EV.
Battery longevity is the only reason I can think of.
Even push to pass doesn't give you the full power, only in launch control.
New Turbo S gets 938hp in LC, 870hp in Push to pas, 764hp full time.

LC is 2.5sec
P2P is 10sec followed by a 10sec cool down period

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
I'd amend to "very likely won't happen" but will still remain optimistic of the possibility until Porsche gives me a firm no.

And if they're monitoring, yes I will buy it under FOD :sun:

d00d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yes
Country flag
I'm assuming they can't increase the all time power because of durability concerns.
Paddle PTP is closer to being useful compared to button PTP or LC, but all are gimmicks.
I don't see myself taking a Taycan on the track over the GT4, other than a one time novelty.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
again - simple - easy - NO! this will be not be retrofited on previous models - why would you think it would be?

kl98cwg

First Name
DF
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Anything except for Model 3 Performance, Model Y Performance, Model S Plaid, Model X Plaid, Mustang Mach-E GT, Cybertruck, Lucid Air Saphire, etc, etc. I have a Turbo, it takes Launch Control to pass any of those, but you cannot activate LC while moving :(
If any of those are at full tilt and you’re trying to pass them then I guess you’re either on a race track or being followed by flashing blue lights 🤣
Sponsored