Home charging in the UK

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Just taken delivery of my Taycan 4S and trying to work out charging options at home. The Porsche charger I have is the 9YO.971.675.BJ. According to the back of the charger, it should run at 22Kw on a 32 Amp supply. However, according to the spec sheet that elberk has posted above, seems like that is only if the supply is three phase as opposed to single phase.

The spec sheet doesn't say what it runs at on a single phase 32 Amp supply. It says 3P+E+N on the back of the charger, which I assume means 3 Phase, plus Earth Plus Neutral - not sure if that helps anything. Porsche have done a great job of making this confusing as hell.. Have attached pictures of the back of the unit and plug adaptor here.

Any thoughts or input on this appreciated.. I'm getting a 32 Amp single phase socket installed next week, so I'll let you all know how that goes.
20200711_161537~01.jpg
20200711_161852.jpg
i am running the same. you can change the current setting on the charger and It will also adapt automatically to the supply current. Here a pic of mine

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
You can get a max of 7.2kw at 32amp single phase, which is more than enough for an overnight charge

Evan

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan S, BMW M4, Porsche Cayenne Coupe Hybrid. Porsche 911 GT3 on the way
Country flag
You can get a max of 7.2kw at 32amp single phase, which is more than enough for an overnight charge
Okay, thanks that's what I suspected :).

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
You will need three phase supply at 32 amp per phase to get 22 kW. But the car will only take 11kW so a 16 amp three phase supply is sufficient to get max charge at home now. Perhaps in some new models they will have 22 kW charger. So if you are planning to put new wiring in, it would make sense to dimension it for 22kW (= 32 amp per phase in 3 phase). Future proofing.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
The blue plug is single phase. 32 Amp. You will charge at 7.2kw ish.
Three phase is a red plug, 16 Amp each phase will charge at 11Kw. I’d put 32Amp on each phase to future proof.

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
@DavidE- Bath ,

I had similar thoughts to yourself but with the connect charger being mandatory, I just decided to take the extra £240 mounting box and have that installed for now.

If you have three phase then you will benefit slightly in that this charger will charge at 11kw rather than single phase 7.6kw.
You won’t get 7.6kW from UK single phase with the Porsche supplied charger. You will only get half of that. The charger is designed to use two phases for 7.6kW. That’s why I’ve had a Zappi 2 fitted. . .

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You won’t get 7.6kW from UK single phase with the Porsche supplied charger. You will only get half of that. The charger is designed to use two phases for 7.6kW. That’s why I’ve had a Zappi 2 fitted. . .
You will with a 32Amp blue connector.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks, I need to order the lead from Porsche
Yes, order from Porsche and have an electrician install a cable suitable to carry 32Amps to your socket in the garage. Once you have that your all good to Charge at 7.2 kw

Evan

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan S, BMW M4, Porsche Cayenne Coupe Hybrid. Porsche 911 GT3 on the way
Country flag
You will need three phase supply at 32 amp per phase to get 22 kW. But the car will only take 11kW so a 16 amp three phase supply is sufficient to get max charge at home now. Perhaps in some new models they will have 22 kW charger. So if you are planning to put new wiring in, it would make sense to dimension it for 22kW (= 32 amp per phase in 3 phase). Future proofing.
How do you know that the car will only take 11Kw on a supply that can provide 22Kw ? Obviosly it can charge faster than that and it's a bit weird that Porsche supply a 22Kw charger if it can't use it.

Does that mean that the 22Kw Public charging points are no good for the Taycan either ? Will it charge at 50Kw ?

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How do you know that the car will only take 11Kw on a supply that can provide 22Kw ? Obviosly it can charge faster than that and it's a bit weird that Porsche supply a 22Kw charger if it can't use it.

Does that mean that the 22Kw Public charging points are no good for the Taycan either ? Will it charge at 50Kw ?
Current model will charge max 11kw AC. At DC chargers you can charge much faster up to 270kw. Next generation Taycan is reported to charge at 22Kw AC.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Current model will charge max 11kw AC. At DC chargers you can charge much faster up to 270kw. Next generation Taycan is reported to charge at 22Kw AC.
Correct! Here is a screen shot I have saved some time ago. I think it was from a slide set one of our members here linked to, but I could not find that just now.

Porsche Taycan Home charging in the UK 0E8EBDAD-1616-466F-9391-BD0A62ADCD76

andyd

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Mclaren 570GT, Cayenne
Country flag
I'm interested to know why you'd need to take the charger with you? I'm expecting my Taycan (uk) next week and have got the extra housing plus a second one for the office. Wouldn't you just plug the charging cable into a commercial charger somewhere?
Thanks
Andy

Hmmm interesting. Yes I’m sure it says up to 11kw on the web. At the moment I’m thinking I might start with a 32a commando socket for the mobile connect and decide on a fixed charge point in due course. As you say I’ll have to remember to take it with me if I might need it when away from home though. Cheers

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
Anyone used a 63a commando socket and 50a fuse? If the mobile connect is 40a it should be good for about 8.5kw on single phase?

I only ask because my sparky mate stucka 63a commando socket in my garage when I said I wanted a big one.

I didn’t even know they did a 63a single phase commando socket:like:
Sponsored